Sennheiser MD421II

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Greggy, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    So I finally gave in to temptation and bought a new one from GC. I have read countless posts about the bad ass low end this mic delivers. So I connected my Allen Class Act II (gainy marshall territory) into my 2x12 with 2 V30s for some old school power chord crunching. The Allen delivers big time in the low end, almost too much when driven real hard with an LP and JB in the bridge.

Anyway, I position the SM57 on one speaker angled and pointing at the area where the dust cap meets the cone, this position always works for me. Then I try the 421 at various positions on the other speaker and power chord away on the LP. When I play back the various tracks, the SM57 is consistently bigger in the low end, the 421 has more cut, regardless of where I position it on the speaker.

So far, seems the sweet spot for the 421 is pointing directly into the speake cone, about halfway between the dust cap and speaker rim and about 2 inches back from the grille.

Anyway, I don't believe for one moment that I have figured this beast out yet. Any comments and suggestions on using the 421? Does it have bigger low end compared to the SM57 when used properly? Really curious. Thanks.

2. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I hate to ask but do you have the bass switch set to M (music)?

The 421 does have deeper bass response but you're talking about the difference between 30 and 40 hz. Not a lot of information in that range when you're in close proximity to a guitar amp.

If you want to capture some LF, try the 57 in front & the 421 behind, with the phase reversed.

Just as a reference, my sub is set at 40 hz and it usually only moves air with a kick or 5 string bass.

3. Greggy

Greggy Member

When looking at the mic from the backside, the dial is all the way clockwise. The instruction manual is a mess and doesn't indicate which way to attenuate and which way to increase the bass response (although it attempts to with a nonsense diagram). Actually, you caught me off guard, and I had forgotten about the dial after initially dialing it all the way clockwise. I'll check again and record with the dial all the way counter-clockwise and see if it makes a difference. Also, the 2x12 is closed back, so don't think the back position will work. May have to try that, though, on my open back 2x12. Thanks.

4. Greggy

Greggy Member

Denyle, you were right, I had it set at S. Turned it full counter-clockwise to M and now I'm getting a deep and rounded low end to disc. Thanks. I should have figured that one out by myself. That's my "duh" moment for the week.

5. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I posted my first experiments here.

I found that with the dial rolled just off just one or two notches the MD421 was slightly better with clean tones. With the dial fully toward M, the 57 was the slightly better mic, IMO.

With overdriven tones, even just mildly crunchy, the 57 was better by far... more "fuzzy" than the 421.

6. Greggy

Greggy Member

Interesting. At this point, having just learned how to use the high pass filter dial, I don't have a meaningful opinion, yet. I'm gonna read your review and continue to experiment after work this evening. thanks.