sennhiser 421 or shure sm7 for recording vocals

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Guitarplayerdan, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Guitarplayerdan

Guitarplayerdan Member

Im think about geting a sen 421 or a sm7, or some of the rode products to do various things such as vocals, guitar amps, acustic guitars. What would you guys recomend.

All I have right now is
    shure 57
    sennhiser 609
    apogee duet
    I can get ahold of betta 58s

2. johnwesley

johnwesley Member

The 57/421 combo is one of the all time great recording combos....

JW

3. in a little row

in a little row Member

that sm7 is great but requires a preamp with quite a high dB gain stage and a low noise floor, cheap wont cut it

4. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Seems to me that since you already have access to respectable dynamics it might be worthwhile investing in a versatile condenser.

I have a Rode K2 which I like for it's tube warmth and variable pattern versatility v reasonable price equation.

The K2 has proven it's a decent choice on acoustic guitars, a nice vocal mic and it'll work really well in conjunction with your '57 on guitar amps.

The K2 is just one of many options-there's so many good choices out there nowadays that I'm sure lots of experienced engineers will chip in with good advice.

5. buchla300

buchla300 Member

Both would be excellent for vocals but I'd edge the SM7 in front. Great dynamic mic.
    The 421 is a classic, but for vocals I'd choose an SM7

6. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Supporting Member

I use an SM7B for vocals and an MD-421 for guitar work. The SM7B just can't be beat for the money as a vocal mic. The MD-421 is an outstanding mic, but I keep it around for guitars and drums more than anything else.

7. elambo

elambo Member

For "vocals" between those two I'd have to pick the SM7. 421 is a great option for guitar cabs but I'm not a big fan of what it does with vocals.

You're now seeing a pattern in our responses.

8. StudioRat320

StudioRat320 Member

While I love the SM7 and 421, I'd look for a used Rode NT2000. First, it was the only mic that sounded right with my old Traynor combo with JBL D-130F 15" speaker. Second, it was the only mic that sounded right with dance/house diva, Crystal Waters. It's a variable pattern mic, which increases it's value and versatility. And, frankly, it sounds great.

While not as big and wide sounding as a U87, in a shootout, it came so close that the Neumann/Sennheiser rep, was not very pleased when the majority of the listeners said they would choose the Rode because of cost.

If you can get a new one, they are about $600. Used, I've seen them go for as little as $350. You won't regret buying it.