Sentimental Guitars

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by GAD, Feb 15, 2009.

1. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

So a few years back I sold my one and only guitar that I played for over 20 years. I was an IDIOT, and I miss it terribly. At the time I wasn't playing and figured it was just taking up space. I sold it for more than I paid for it in 1979, which was about $1000.

I've contacted the current owner, and he has no interest in selling it back to me.

This guitar is not a well known guitar, but it's well made, and those who have owned them love them.

There is one just like it on Ebay, and I'm the high bidder. I'm not saying what it is or you'll all go outbid me. :) It's already a few hundred over what I paid, and it's probably going to end up hundreds over what its worth. I've purged some gear and I have more than enough to cover it even if it goes to a ridiculous price.

Ever go through this? It's not "my" guitar, but it's the EXACT same model, which was pretty rare. It's even the same year. Only a few hundred made.

Part of me is willing to do whatever it takes to get it. Another part of me thinks that's stupid - I have a pile of guitars, many of which are MUCH better (in theory) than this one. Still...

Think I'm nuts?

GAD

2. elkym

elkym Member

Nah. More power to ya. I hope you win it!

3. elkym

elkym Member

btw, Let us know it you get it! (I wanna know what it was...)

4. GAD

Don't worry, if I win, there will be LOTS of pics. Hell I'll probably sleep with it for a week.

GAD

5. KazJY

KazJY Member

nah, you aren't nuts.

I found a "twin" of my sentimental #1 in a used shop awhile ago, and almost bought it "just in case". I never did, but still think of why I didn't just get it while I could have, as it was also rare.

Good luck - I hope you get it. Keep us posted!

6. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

To me...if it's not the same one it doesn't matter...just another guitar...

7. cyclerob

cyclerob Member

hahaha... found it! and I ain't gonna fight you for it!

Good luck! ;)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  8. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

Nuts! Slap yourself in the face and snap out of it. It's a gtr not an ex-girlfriend! That's embarrassing!

9. IG88

IG88 Member

i miss selling my 1st guitar which was a crappy pawnshop kramer striker(it didnt even have the hockey stick headstock!). that was actually a really nice guitar...

10. GAD

I WIN!

For those of you who haven't been snooping :) a few years ago I sold my beloved 1979 Guild S300A-D. You just don't see them around. I've seen a few really crappy examples, some cool sunburst S300-Ds, but nothing like the one I had, which was mint after 30 years. I sold it because I was on a "simplify my life, it's only a thing" kick, and because I'm an idiot. Here's mine before I sold it:

[​IMG]

I found this one on Ebay and almost wet myself.

[​IMG]http://cgi.ebay.com/1979-Guild-S-300-A-D-Excellent-condition-near-mint_W0QQitemZ120376899950QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar

I'd been selling off gear for a new Mesa Mark V, but that can wait. Here's are some resized high-res pics sent by the seller:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If it's as cherry as it looks, I'm gonna be a happy boy. I may even be able to use it as trade bait to get mine back.

It's not quite as sexy a piece of wood as mine was, and it might even be more than 2-piece, but man - you just don't see them in this condition too often.

Now I wait for shipping. I hate to wait...

GAD

11. GAD

And to think I was just about to buy this one and fix it up:

[​IMG]

GAD

12. Jazzydave

Jazzydave Seeker Silver Supporting Member

I HATE waiting too! If you do get stuck with the "new" one, just keep in mind that its a different guitar. It'll never be that "one" but it may be close with some patience.

I sold my Heritage H535 in a rough patch a few years ago to a guy I knew for cheap and I've contacted him a few times a year since then and asked for it back - NOPE. I can't blame him though, it was an awesome guitar.

Best of luck! I hope you can trade this one for the original!

13. Leonardo

Leonardo Member

Now see if the current owner will trade your guitar for this one. ;)

14. KazJY

KazJY Member

Man, way to go!!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, but worst case scenario, it looks like you got a nice guit coming.

15. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I actually got a guitar back I regretted selling 10 years ago and bought the same guitar back on Craigslist a month ago

16. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for Silver Supporting Member

Willy's American Guitars in St Paul has that same Guild, only in black and with a single bridge humbucker. It looked very cool. (but that day, I walked out with a new amp instead)

17. Bankston

Bankston Member

I'm so sentimental about my Kramer Striker, which was the second electric guitar I ever purchased, that I've sunk way too much money into what is a plywood POS.

About 6 months ago, I decided to salvage the best parts from it and hang it on the wall.

But I had a few other spare parts lying around . . . so I'm putting back into playing shape to serve as a practice guitar.