Sequential resumes making Prophet 5, Prophet 10

zekmoe

Gold Supporting Member
Purest would hate it ;)

This is the reason, other than price, I'm only interested in the module.
Keyboards imho are a relative bargain compared to many guitars. Online stores are filled with guitars $6000-$12000, and sell dozens a day. A $3000-$4000 synth seems like a deal.

tjontheroad

Just Wanna Be Misunderstood
Keyboards imho are a relative bargain compared to many guitars. Online stores are filled with guitars $6000-$12000, and sell dozens a day. A $3000-$4000 synth seems like a deal.
I pretty much agree. Still, the P5/10 is over my personal spending per any one gear item limit (guitars included). I think $2,700 is the most I've ever spent on any one thing.

For me wanting the module over the keyboard is more about not wanting another keyboard that will take up space.

zekmoe

Gold Supporting Member
I pretty much agree. Still, the P5/10 is over my personal spending per any one gear item limit (guitars included). I think $2,700 is the most I've ever spent on any one thing.
I know, I’m not saying everyone should snap up a $3500 synth. But even a flagship Moog 1 is less than your average relic’d Murphy Les Paul.
I have a limit too, which is why I’ve always wanted but never bought a carved top Gibson arch top. For 30 years they’ve been beyond what I will pay for a guitar.

Flouncingfleasbag

Silver Supporting Member
For me wanting the module over the keyboard is more about not wanting another keyboard that will take up space.
I'm at the " you get what you pay for" state of mind. I appreciate that it's a huge investment but one Prophet is worth more than six mod range synths to me, functionality wise and sound quality wise. Not having to have two folding tables full of modules ( but maybe still...Hahaha) I used a prophet 600 for years and it was such a great instrument even with its quirks. The new 5, 6 10 etc. Solve all those issues and give you the flexibility to make so many sounds. Of course you have to love that filter...hahaha.

I'm at the " you get what you pay for" state of mind. I appreciate that it's a huge investment but one Prophet is worth more than six mod range synths to me, functionality wise and sound quality wise. Not having to have two folding tables full of modules ( but maybe still...Hahaha) I used a prophet 600 for years and it was such a great instrument even with its quirks. The new 5, 6 10 etc. Solve all those issues and give you the flexibility to make so many sounds. Of course you have to love that filter...hahaha.
Yes, that's why I'm seriously considering getting one. But the module, not the keyboard.

Flouncingfleasbag

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, that's why I'm seriously considering getting one. But the module, not the keyboard.
I was on the fence about that, too. I looked at what they are selling for used and it seems the full keyboard 6 is almost the same price... I think someone ot would be the center of my synth world I'd for for it to be the keyboard, even though, logically, the module makes more sense. I think I will midi sync a couple to the Phrophet and a couple to the keystep pro. Space is a premium, especially when you want to use it all...hahaha.

Off subject... do you know anyone that can drop pulse sync into an old drum machine? I've seen it done, just don't know anyone. You seem to be well versed.

Off subject... do you know anyone that can drop pulse sync into an old drum machine? I've seen it done, just don't know anyone. You seem to be well versed.
I just little bits of experience here and there, but that experience does not include old drum machines. I don't have any vintage gear - drum machine or otherwise.

I actually just ordered my first drum machine with trigger outputs - the Roland TR-06.

Flouncingfleasbag

Silver Supporting Member
I just little bits of experience here and there, but that experience does not include old drum machines. I don't have any vintage gear - drum machine or otherwise.

I actually just ordered my first drum machine with trigger outputs - the Roland TR-06.
Have fun withat...the old ones are sick! I have 707 with the pulse out, running into a Malekko Goatkeeper,holy cannoly !

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
It's amazing that this could actually even happen :eeks It's the original formula, original rev 1, 2 and 3 chips and a few upgrades. .... I need to watch some more videos on these. The 10 would be sweet for another whatever it is, $1000? I think it would be money well spent, although the 5 is completely amazing as is... :huh

I think I'm going to have to go for one of these which by the way is a flippin bargain compared to the original price (adjusted for inflation).

Last edited:

Angstwulf

It's amazing that this could actually even happen :eeks It's the original formula, original rev 1, 2 and 3 chips and a few upgrades. .... I need to watch some more videos on these. The 10 would be sweet for another whatever it is, $1000? I think it would be money well spent, although the 5 is completely amazing as is... :huh

I think I'm going to have to go for one of these which by the way is a flippin bargain compared to the original price (adjusted for inflation).
DO IT!!!!!

I'm a huge Dave Smith fanboy. I own two Evolvers. They are so deep and cool sounding. Plus, my experience with their customer support has been wonderful over the years.

I doubt I'll ever drop money on this but if I ever won the lottery a 10 would be on my shopping list. More so if they ever get crazy and release the 10 with the old school double keyboard. That thing looked nuts.

Desktop versions are now on the website.

joesnewmatch

Music Is My Soul Food
Silver Supporting Member
Just saw this, too. Besides the price, I'm starting to wonder if I'd rather have a P6, but wow would it be cool to have a 5/10!

That's a wide body desktop at almost 21". My P12 is only 16" wide.
Yes, the P12 desktop is narrower, but it only has 12 knobs compared to the knob forest on the keyboard P12. Having only 12 knobs made the narrower design possible.

I forgot the specifics but I do recall some back and forth discussion about those tradeoffs. DSI compensated for the omission of all those knobs by implementing a menu-driven button system. There were loyal users for sure who defended the P12 desktop, saying "Oh, the menu diving isn't so bad".

P5 Desktop has the same knob count as the keyboard - 28 knobs. I guess you could argue that they could shave off another inch or 2 and still keep the same number of knobs. Well, you could always email/call them with your ideas for shrinking the panel some more without compromising ease of use, comfort, readability, etc. and see if they'll listen to you.

Last edited:

tjontheroad

Just Wanna Be Misunderstood
Yes, the P12 desktop is narrower, but it only has 12 knobs compared to the knob forest on the keyboard P12. Having only 12 knobs made the narrower design possible.

I forgot the specifics but I do recall some back and forth discussion about those tradeoffs. DSI compensated for the omission of all those knobs by implementing a menu-driven button system. There were loyal users for sure who defended the P12 desktop, saying "Oh, the menu diving isn't so bad".

P5 Desktop has the same knob count as the keyboard - 28 knobs. I guess you could argue that they could shave off another inch or 2 and still keep the same number of knobs. Well, you could always email/call them with your ideas for shrinking the panel some more without compromising ease of use, comfort, readability, etc. and see if they'll listen to you.
Oh I agree with you. I'm just figuring out the space for it ;)

Actually I realize now it is about the same width as the P6 and OB-6 modules.

Don't think I'll jump right away. I'm waiting on the PolyBrute and Osmose first. Sequential gear tends to come down in price after a while if you're willing to wait.

Oh I agree with you. I'm just figuring out the space for it ;)

Actually I realize now it is about the same width as the P6 and OB-6 modules.

Don't think I'll jump right away. I'm waiting on the PolyBrute and Osmose first. Sequential gear tends to come down in price after a while if you're willing to wait.
Not jumping either. I'm also waiting on my Osmose.

Matriarch is also keeping me busy. I understood going in that it's going to be a deep beast to explore, but now that I have my paws on one, I realize how much I underestimated the learning curve.

I'm not adding an analog polysynth until I feel like I've sufficiently fleshed out how I'll use the Matriarch. I know it'll have a place in whatever I want to do - just a matter of firming that up some more.

Trending Topics