Serching for a bass amp. Could use help.

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by zkelly05, Feb 24, 2012.

1. zkelly05

zkelly05 Member

So I'm part of a choir that is in need for a bass amp. The hope was for a good solid state combo amp. Maybe like a 2X10 or 1X12. We've been told our total price to purchase something now would only be about $200.00, which I realize has little room for a good quality amp, but if you guys know of some good ones for around this price would be great. Thanks for your help!

2. Rick N Boogie

Rick N Boogie Member

With such a small budget, I'd take a look at some used gear, or increase the budget. Nothing new in that price range worth owning for anything more than solo practice.

3. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

A used Ampeg BA115 can be had around that number, and would be plenty loud.

4. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

5. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

I went through a lot of smaller bass amps to find one with power, thump and bite when needed. This one was the keeper. Yorkville XM200. Though mine is a 2 x 15. It out performed the Ampegs, GK, Fender, Genz benz and a bunch of others. The only one I found better was the Markbass, but it cost 3 times as much. So look around. There are some still available, though they were discontunued. And remember when trying them out to really push the volume hard. Thats where the weaknesses show up.[​IMG]
    If you really need to stay ay $200, then I would suggest a Peavey TKO. Pretty good sound and fairly loud.

Good luck.

6. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

I owned a Crate BT220 for a while, it can be found mighty cheap. Cool octave down & tuner built-in...

I agree that the BA115 would be a great amp, close to your budget.

7. Jimmy B

Jimmy B Member

Yorkville makes a killer bass amp that can be had used for $200 or less. These things aren't very well known but they are bulletproof and sound great.

8. zkelly05

zkelly05 Member

Cool, thanks for the help guys! I appreciate it. Hopefully we can up the price and pick up something decent.

9. Hooster

Hooster Member

If you still haven't committed, a brand new Peavey small bass combo amp can run $200. Part of the crew who worked on the original Trace Elliott amps/cabs got picked up by Peavey once Gibson bought out Trace Elliott. Yesterday's peavey was weak, today's is halfway decent.

10. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member