Series FX Loops has bleed (VHT/Fryette Content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by EchoGecko, Mar 30, 2015.

1. EchoGecko

EchoGecko Member

I like my Trem and Volume pedals in the loop since I generally get a decent amount of gain from my amp. The trouble is, with the loop engaged there is still some signal being fed to power amp outside the loop. When the volume pedal is heel down, you can still hear the amp. It is not super loud, but it kinda ruins the effect of swelling in. It's also pretty noticeable on deeper tremolo settings, especially where overdrive is present. Probably not that big a deal when the mix is full, but when there is a lot of space it is noticeable. And, most obviously, just annoying when playing alone.

Is this a common issue with Fryette amps and is there a solution outside of outboard gear like the Bad Cat Unleash?

VHT Pitbull Super 30

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  2. Moot

Moot Member

Sounds like you have a parallel FX-loop. They usually only allow up to a 50/50 mix.
    Is there a parallel/series switch on your amp? What you want is series.

3. EchoGecko

EchoGecko Member

It is parallel/series and the switch is set to series.

4. shanesiegle

shanesiegle Supporting Member

check with Fryette support but they are known to have the best loops in the business. What you have is an older model so it may be different than what's on my Sig X.

I may be confused but anytime I tried a volume pedal in the loop it never worked right. I always ran them up front and they work perfectly.

5. EchoGecko

EchoGecko Member

They need to be the low impedance variety to work in the loop.

It depends on your use of the pedal. Like I mentioned, I like to use volume pedals for swells, and that won't work very well pre-gain.

6. Moot

Moot Member

I'm sure you've probably checked, but do you hear any difference when you toggle the parallel/series switch? The problem must be in the loop - there are no other pathways for the sound to internally bypass the loop.
    Dirty switch? Cold solder at the switch?
    Hopefully Fryette will have a good answer and fix!

7. support

support Member

Volume pedals don't usually go all the way off. With a very low signal level like a guitar pickup it's easier to get the level way down when a volume pedal is used between the guitar and amp.

In the loop, it's easier for the loop signal to bleed around the pedal. This is generally caused by a combination of a high impedance volume pedal, a high loop level, poor shielding inside the pedal and the long length of cable in the loop signal path.

Try a pedal with a 10K-25K pot value and also experiment with pedal order and placement.

8. EchoGecko

EchoGecko Member

Thanks for the reply, Dave.

The volume pedal is a low impedance. If I put it in front of the amp and send a hot signal through it from an overdrive or fuzz, it mutes all the way. Same thing with a tremolo pedal I have…it has a volume pot. Mutes with volume pot all the way down in front of the amp being fed a hot signal, but not in the loop. I have a delay pedal…Pigtronix Echolution 2 with a Dry Kill function. Same thing. What is mostly heard in the loop in heel down position (or at the bottom of a tremolo pulse, dry kill mode) is a really fizzy sound…like what the amp would sound like if you had the gain dimed but the volume super low.

Also, I use 3.5' cables to connect my pedalboard to my FX Loop…really short run.

Pretty sure the issue is in the loop.

Since you're Fryette support…hopefully you can answer another FX Loop question while we're here. The loop has a Hi and Lo switch on the back. When it is switched the low, the amp produces a loud hum, even if nothing is connected to the loop but the loop is on. If you switch it back to Hi, the hum goes away and the amp produces normal, acceptable level of noise. What could be causing this?

9. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

If you unplug the volume pedal completely does the loop go completely quiet? If so, the bleed is in the pedal and not the loop. If there is bleed with the series loop engaged but the signal 100% broken (as opposed to a volume pedal providing x resistance) then the bleed is in the loop.

10. EchoGecko

EchoGecko Member

Punching myself in the face for not doing this. YES, with series loop engaged but only connecting one side, there is the same bleed I've been taking about.

Thanks rumbletone!

11. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

Then it does seem like the loop/amp is the source of the issue.