Series or parallel in 2x12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by plan-x, May 31, 2008.

1. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

I got a two 8 ohm speakers. I've tried both series and parallel hook ups in my 2x12 and I think I like the series (16 ohm) as compared to the parallel (4ohm) just because it sounded more open. Any one care to shed some light on this.

2. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

Uh, depends on the output, maybe?

3. hobageeba

hobageeba Member

Here's something I just read in a separate thread that could shed some light on this:

So basically, with the lower ohms (less resistance), your amp isn't working as hard as it is with the higher ohms (more resistance). Maybe your ears are interpreting the extra push from your amp as being more "open".

Here's a link to that whole thread if you're intersted:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=396685&highlight=parallel/series

4. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I hear a series wiring as sounding a tad bit more "complex" (more harmonic content)and less dampened. Parallel wiring sounds slightly less complex due to extra dampening affect from what Ive read on the subject. Then also some of my amps sound slightly different at different ohm output. At any rate given the choice I seem to prefer series when I can wire for it. Bob

5. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

You might want to take into consideration what impedance your amp wants to see. In some amps wanting to see a 4 ohm load, if you use 16 ohms you can burn up a trannie. In other amps it makes no difference.

Tom

6. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

You can use a DPDT switch to switch between series and parallel.

7. jacob54

jacob54 Member

Use the "Two in parallel" wiring, it's much more safer to your amp.
    Because, with the "Two in series" wiring your OT will be history in case that one speaker fails...

Jacob

8. DoobieK

DoobieK Member

What impedance does your amp call for? That should be the impedance of the speaker load.

9. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

So, there can be some risk of damage to the amp at 16 ohms series? My amp is rated for 8 ohms with a second speaker out for another cab. That probably allows a drop to 4 ohms. I just thought it sounded better in series.

10. AndrewSimon

AndrewSimon Member

Looks like a lot of confusion here.
    Series is 16 ohm
    Parralell is 4 ohm

At 4 ohm the amp works much harder then at 16 ohm. (4 ohm load demands much higher currents).

:rolleyes: