Serious Question. What is it about this place and Van Halen?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by White Limo, Oct 14, 2019.

1. White Limo

White Limo Member

Before joining this board I always thought of Van Halen as a forgettable 80s rock band. I recognize EVH as a pioneer and technical master, but VHs music has always been intolerably cheesy to me.

I must see 1 or 2 trending topics a week about VH. Way more than any other rock band by a long shot. What gives?

I understand there are big fans here and don’t take my comments as disrespect, simply a matter of taste. But I still don’t get why that one band/player are so heavily discussed.

Drawde, Kitwell, god.machine and 55 others like this.
  2. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Are you effing kidding me?

ejecta, cr7r9, StummerJoe and 135 others like this.
  3. somecafone

somecafone Member

In a word, demographics.

Drawde, forgivenman, ejecta and 108 others like this.
  4. stimpson

stimpson Member

well... when talking about the electric guitar, first there was Hendrix, then EVH, then... everybody else

5. BadHat

BadHat Supporting Member

He's no Mayer, that's for sure. :D

Roark, forgivenman, shane8 and 39 others like this.
  6. R Weaver FX

R Weaver FX Supporting Member

Now here’s a thread that definitely should be nuked.

7. RustyNails

RustyNails Member

I agree with you, man. All good musicians, but pretty cheesy music. Except for Hot for Teacher. That track slays. But at the same time, Jump and Panama are two of my most hated songs of all time. Funny that they're all on the same album.

8. HugoTheCat

HugoTheCat Member

Imagine the scene: 1978 at a keg party and this guy with the best car stereo in town pulls in after returning from the music store.

He played ‘Running With the Devil’ and then ‘Eruption’.

Our minds were blown. There wasn’t anything like it. We imprinted on VH and our world (at the time) was chicks, music and beer.
    It’s hard to forget those wonderful times and new music sucks in comparison because we have house payments, etc. (i.e. responsibility).
    Eddie Van Halen was magic to non-jaded kids.

9. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

That sentence right there renders this thread irrelevant.

I'm not even the biggest VH fan in the world (having a brother who is a huge VH fan kinda pushed me to look for my own tastes) but I can certainly see their, and his, significance, and I do like their music.

slogger, Ron, Luke Gibson and 15 others like this.
  10. Wyatt Martin

Wyatt Martin Member

Definitely the most influential guitarist for the decade of the 80s. He's why I and countless millions of others play.

Before the information highway existed and the fables he spun in interviews about his gear rundown was very elusive. I enjoy the the never seen or heard before recordings of concerts and interviews etc that are available today and would have enjoyed it so much more back in the mid 80s when I first started out and because it didn't exist then is why I read/listen to it now. It's fun when someone turns up something we haven't seen.

Am I as much a fan today? No. Perhaps I outgrew my obsession but I mostly think for me it's been his lack of consistent participation.

In the regular non musician world of listeners I am discovering there aren't many people under the current age of 42-43 that remember much or know anything about that band. I have children in their 20s who know nothing about Van Halen or Eddie except the keyboard part in "Jump" but they are familiar with or at least heard of Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and Eric Johnson. Why? I suppose it's because they never stopped....

noley, shane8, Wrmbrnr and 4 others like this.
  11. OPENYOUREYES

OPENYOUREYES Member

i listen to VH songs now and am so bored with them and am like meh!!!...No doubt eddie was great at that time and newish tonewise and playing wise but i hear their music now and it just doesnt do much for me.. same with ac/dc....black sabbath(not that they did much for me way back when) most any from that time period just bore me to tears. Nothing to do with their style or ability just feel been there done that in my ears/head. If i had a dime for everytime i hear some guy trying to play evh in GC i would be rich.

12. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

You always thought of them as forgettable?

Uncle Dad, roswell, cutaway and 32 others like this.
  13. Ps28

Ps28 Member

It's mullet music, brah.

14. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

I don't play hard rock, more of a blues/ Country-rock/ old Country player, but I remember me, and my fellow guitar player in our ' wannabe' College band, having our minds blown hearing that first VH album. It was WTF?!?! before we knew about ' WTF!' - still is.

It has just been one strong guitar imprint for many of us - even if you don't play in this style.
    * plus just like Hendrix, and others ( IMO) it's not just EVH isolated ( as good as he is), but in the context of a great band. They just sounded right together.
    You can hear the badass swagger of VH!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  15. Tony

Tony Supporting Member

Troll thread

*EDITED TO ADD* - and a quite successful troll thread, at that. 25 pages as of this edit. I'll be on the lookout for a "What's the whole deal with TGP and John Mayer?" thread from the OP soon.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    LarryJohn, roswell, Danny W. and 22 others like this.
  16. ieso

ieso Member

17. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Gold Supporting Member

1. Don't publicly knock musicians because you don't like their music.
    2. Asking "Why do you people like this schlub?" is close enough to 1.
    3. The more a group likes something, the stupider it is to go in and do 2. Even if you're not trolling, it's just bad form.

18. circle_o_5ths

circle_o_5ths Member

Something often overlooked is that Van Halen brought rock music to an audience that included females. They were the party band that opened the door for hair metal.

19. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

Fix'd it for ya

20. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

OP, I agree that TGP can get fixated on VH. Certainly, like Hendrix in the late 60s, Ed had a sound and a homegrown technique that got people’s attention, and he was a groundbreaking rock guitar pioneer in the late 70s/early 80s. But he wasn’t the first one to “play fast” with a fast right hand, and he wasn’t the first one to use tapping, hammer-ons and pull-offs. And there were a number of contemporaries, predecessors and successors who did the whole speed, clean precision and complexity thing so well that it made most of Ed’s shtick look like parlor tricks – Rhoads, Moore, Watson, Lifeson, Howe, Rabin, and Malmsteen, just to name but a few. But Ed was pretty much the original guitar ‘wiz-kid’ back in the day, and like someone pointed out, a lot of folks here who fit a certain demographic are very fond of that period’s suburban California party style of hard rock.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019