Serious Recording Newb

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by snowdog650, May 14, 2015.

1. snowdog650

snowdog650 Member

So I've never recorded anything before, but would like to start. Nothing elaborate ... just some backing tracks and what not, so my daughter can have some stuff to practice with when I'm not around.

I have a Tech 21 Trademark 30, which is basically a Sansamp GT2. It has a 1/4" direct line out and also an XLR output for direct recording. This is what I essentially want: direct recording of MY amp and MY effects. I see all of these software packages that model 900 amps and 200 cabs and 45 mics and a gazillion effect pedals. I don't want that. I just want my own sound and the ability to add a drum/bass/synth/vox down the road.

Will GarageBand allow me to record my stuff without the headaches of dealing with the modeling effects? Another program you recommend? I figured the Trademark 30 would make recording easy ... and it seems that it will ...

Tried the search, but didn't even know what the hell I was searching for.

Willing to drop some $$, but not a ton ... maybe $200 tops. Less is better.

I use a Mac.

Any help and guidance in the right general direction is greatly appreciated.

2. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

GarageBand is fine for you. You mainly need an interface with mic preamp and mic/stand and cable. PreSonus has a little Audiobox interface for like 99 bucks.

3. snowdog650

snowdog650 Member

Thanks for that. The Sansamp acts as the preamp and mic ... so it seems to me that I just need to plug the Sansamp directly into the Mac and be off ...

And -- of course -- as soon as I post this, I see 2 other posts asking essentially the same thing. :mob

4. Ken Whisler

Ken Whisler Supporting Member

Noop. You need something to convert the analog signal to io's......and that's where an interface comes in. Focusrite Scarlett 2i2's can be had secondhand for $50. If you're ok with the stock GarageBand amp sims or a whole host of freeware amp sims available, you can plug your guitar straight into the interface. Or you can plug your amp's DI right into the interface, but you'll have more gain stages to deal with.

5. SRQGuitar

SRQGuitar Member

Just get an audio interface and plug it into your computer via USB and plug the Xlr out from your amp into one of the XLR inputs on the interface. Launch GarageBand and go.

6. BetterMeThanYou

BetterMeThanYou Member

I would recommend looking into one of the small Tascam recorders for what you want to do. Something like the Tascam DP-006. It's just a little box the size of a paperback that you can plug a cable in from your amp to it and record, or record with the onboard microphone. They sell for $150 new and you can find them even cheaper used on Reverb or eBay. Then you don't have to mess around with figuring out computer interfaces and software and drivers and yadda-yadda-yadda. Just plug in and go. Couldn't be simpler.

7. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

technically, you can plug a guitar into a computer without an interface as long as you have the right cables (a mini plug into the mic input). Interfaces mostly exist to make monitoring easier. They come with drivers that tell the computer to monitor the recording input as "live" instead of with latency. But if you know how use a sound card, for line level (or mic) you can get by without an interface. As an example, the iPhone iRig is nothing more than a jack that allows you to plug your guitar into the iPhone mic jack. It is the software (driver) that makes the connection work. A soundcard can be made to work like an "interface" (that is the entire premise of Audacity - no interface, just your soundcard).

8. snowdog650

snowdog650 Member

Thanks for the help, folks!