Serious Rock and Roll: Good practices for wrist health as a guitarist

vanguard

I notice my wrists sometime hurt, or just feel funky, after playing guitar (or typing!). Who knows some safe, established practices, stretches, etc. for before, during, and after playing guitar? Practices that will hopefully lead to a long career playing music with wrists that are happy to oblige well into old age.

mschafft

Sink your hands and wrist in hot water for 3 minutes and then in very cold water for 1 minute. Do it in the morning, before going to bed, and after practice.

Morning and night for 6 weeks, after practice for 6 weeks and more if needed.

That is as hot and as cold as you are comfortable with.

Don't wear long guitar straps. And if something hurts, don't insist, move on to something else or some other way tho get the same notes.

B Money

Proper ergonomics is key to maintaining your wrist & hand health. The #1 piece of advice would be to make sure you're not wearing your guitar too low. Slash looks cool playing his Les Paul down around his knees, but his fretting hand wrist is so bent it looks painful, and it's terrible for your joints.

Same thing goes for typing, make sure your forearms are supported, your wrists are basically flat and there is no pressure on them like from the edge of the desk.

frankencat

Guitarded
Gold Supporting Member
I have had three hand and wrist surgeries. The combination of playing guitar, riding motorcycles and computer programming have taken their toll. Go see an ortho doc sooner rather than later and maybe they can save you some pain and trouble.

Gitarman

Proper ergonomics is key to maintaining your wrist & hand health. The #1 piece of advice would be to make sure you're not wearing your guitar too low. Slash looks cool playing his Les Paul down around his knees, but his fretting hand wrist is so bent it looks painful, and it's terrible for your joints.

Same thing goes for typing, make sure your forearms are supported, your wrists are basically flat and there is no pressure on them like from the edge of the desk.

+1 to all of the above. Ergonomics needs to be part of developing proper technique.

re: stretches - Google carpal tunnel stretches/ exercises & make them a part of your warm up.

Average Joe

Good advice here.

mslugano

Silver Supporting Member
Try the exercises in this video. I came across it a number of months ago and have found it to help.

+1. I've been using this sort of exercise for quite awhile and it really helps.

I also shake my hands pretty rigorously before playing and sometimes between tunes. It helps loosen everything up and gets the blood flowing through your hands, wrists and forearms. This is my favorite routine for loosening up.

EADGBE

Don't play tennis. I did and I hurt myself bad. You may want to cut back on typing. This seems to cause or aggravate already existing carpal tunnel syndrome.

derekd

Gold Supporting Member
I do jujitsu/aikido wrist and forearm stretches all the time for this. Makes a difference, for sure.

mattz

I take Glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM for my joints every day. Hope you never experience tendonitis. I had it once and couldn't play for months. I couldn't use a can opener or twist a door knob.

speedemon

I have found weight training the wrists has helped me endure the rigors of computer job and guitar, and the motion is stretching/limbering too. In addition, fretting is improved as well as endurance. Win/win.

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
I've had my forearm / wrists literally freeze up in the middle of tunes at long 4 hour acoustic gigs. Somehow I've managed to play through but it's really the strangest feeling, shooting pain and feeling like your arm is contorted for a few seconds!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom