Seriously considering a driskill

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by sparky_8, May 2, 2005.

1. sparky_8

sparky_8 Member

this is a cross post from bam

I brought up the idea tonight with my wife and i'm still alive so i know i have a chance. she was even in here helping me pick out inlays and stuff. here's my one big problem. i've only ever played the shania driskill. i think i would like p90's but haven't played a driskill with them. I have a custom 24 rosie right now. So I know I like the sound of the humbuckers. With p90's would I be limiting my versatility? Also 2 singles and a hum would be nice too. Whats the most versatile? I switch styles a lot ranging from rock to blues to praise and worship at my church. Anyone want to loan me one to help me decide?

2. cnardone

cnardone Member

First off, I do not think that you need to make the decision before putting down a deposit. YOu probably have a little time. How far from Joe are you? I would bet he could tell you when you has guitars ready to go out. You could stop by and take a test drive. I would not say that a Pair of 9-90s are limiting. If you get two volumes or a blend control their are ton of different tones to be had. Add in use of the tone controls and you are on your way. I think that anyone of those switching configurations can cover all of the bases, I think that your choice of pickups will have a lot to do with how versitale the guitar can be.

cmn

3. sparky_8

sparky_8 Member

well... i put in my order yesterday. it will be 2 humbuckers with joe's 5 way switching. i will post more details on specs later when i get home from my finals.

4. JustPlay

JustPlay Member

5. Drunkagain

Drunkagain Member

Congratulations man. Joe makes some amazing guitars for sure. :dude

6. sparky_8

sparky_8 Member

Driskill order
    Hopefully a one piece koa top if not it will be bookmatched
    2 humbuckers with joes 5 way switching.
    Piezo trem
    Mahogany back
    Either a rosewood neck or a koa neck i am not fully decided on that yet
    Joe's flame inlays like he has posted on his site.
    boise de rose fretboard
    I may have left something out but it should be cool
    Stephen

7. Testudo

Testudo Member

Very exciting! I chatted with you about this on BaM (where I'm "Peter"). Now the hard part begins. The w a i t . . . . .
    It's always a great day when Joe has some aspect of it done - whether it's inlay design, or a fretboard, or a body traced on the wood to be cut.

8. realmpel

realmpel Supporting Member

Hey, congratulations on your order!

I was going to ask this in a new thread but it seems appropriate here: Has Driskill made a koa guitar yet, or will Sparky's be the first?

Incidentally I have a koa top/black limba back, rosewood necked Thorn with buckers~similar to your specs. It is a tone beast and if you go that route I reckon you'll be happy!

Again, congrats.

Kev

9. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I say go for it. Before I fell in love with all things McInturff, I had planned to purchase a Diablo. Joe is a great guy, and he builds one hell of a guitar. I don't think you can go wrong.

Rock on!

10. sparky_8

sparky_8 Member

This one will be the first koa topped diablo. I definitely look foward to it. It was really between koa and spalted maple like peter's guitar. it was a tough decision though.