1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Seriously considering a driskill

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by sparky_8, May 2, 2005.

1. sparky_8

sparky_8 Member

this is a cross post from bam

I brought up the idea tonight with my wife and i'm still alive so i know i have a chance. she was even in here helping me pick out inlays and stuff. here's my one big problem. i've only ever played the shania driskill. i think i would like p90's but haven't played a driskill with them. I have a custom 24 rosie right now. So I know I like the sound of the humbuckers. With p90's would I be limiting my versatility? Also 2 singles and a hum would be nice too. Whats the most versatile? I switch styles a lot ranging from rock to blues to praise and worship at my church. Anyone want to loan me one to help me decide?

2. cnardone

cnardone Member

First off, I do not think that you need to make the decision before putting down a deposit. YOu probably have a little time. How far from Joe are you? I would bet he could tell you when you has guitars ready to go out. You could stop by and take a test drive. I would not say that a Pair of 9-90s are limiting. If you get two volumes or a blend control their are ton of different tones to be had. Add in use of the tone controls and you are on your way. I think that anyone of those switching configurations can cover all of the bases, I think that your choice of pickups will have a lot to do with how versitale the guitar can be.

cmn

3. sparky_8

sparky_8 Member

well... i put in my order yesterday. it will be 2 humbuckers with joe's 5 way switching. i will post more details on specs later when i get home from my finals.

4. JustPlay

JustPlay Member

5. Drunkagain

Drunkagain Member

Congratulations man. Joe makes some amazing guitars for sure. :dude

6. sparky_8

sparky_8 Member

Driskill order
    Hopefully a one piece koa top if not it will be bookmatched
    2 humbuckers with joes 5 way switching.
    Piezo trem
    Mahogany back
    Either a rosewood neck or a koa neck i am not fully decided on that yet
    Joe's flame inlays like he has posted on his site.
    boise de rose fretboard
    I may have left something out but it should be cool
    Stephen

7. Testudo

Testudo Member

Very exciting! I chatted with you about this on BaM (where I'm "Peter"). Now the hard part begins. The w a i t . . . . .
    It's always a great day when Joe has some aspect of it done - whether it's inlay design, or a fretboard, or a body traced on the wood to be cut.

8. realmpel

realmpel Supporting Member

Hey, congratulations on your order!

I was going to ask this in a new thread but it seems appropriate here: Has Driskill made a koa guitar yet, or will Sparky's be the first?

Incidentally I have a koa top/black limba back, rosewood necked Thorn with buckers~similar to your specs. It is a tone beast and if you go that route I reckon you'll be happy!

Again, congrats.

Kev

9. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I say go for it. Before I fell in love with all things McInturff, I had planned to purchase a Diablo. Joe is a great guy, and he builds one hell of a guitar. I don't think you can go wrong.

Rock on!

10. sparky_8

sparky_8 Member

This one will be the first koa topped diablo. I definitely look foward to it. It was really between koa and spalted maple like peter's guitar. it was a tough decision though.