Seriously considering a Fulltone TTE

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by zygoat, Jul 11, 2008.

1. zygoat

zygoat Supporting Member

But I've never actually used one. I've only heard clips and watched videos and read the reviews and opinions here and elsewhere. Seems like something that could really put a smile on my face.

To everyone that has experience with this thing, how often would the tape need to be replaced? How about the tube(s)? It will most likely be sitting in a home studio for its entire life, so I'm not worried about it being road worthy. Is the TTE in contant need of maintenance, or worry free?

2. Isaiah4Autumn

Isaiah4Autumn Member

why are you considering? :jo GET ONE! If I had the cash...I would be awnsering the rest of your questions already....

3. Jay Douglas

Jay Douglas Member

I have owned mine for 3 years? Just love it, use it for recording, use it live and am anxiously awaiting the new ETC tape cartridges coming out with the ball bearing wheels, because the only thing that I can say negative about the TTE is (at bedroom levels) you can hear the "squeek squeek" of the ETC tape cart.That will end soon.

If you own a TTE, run out and grab a JJ brand 12AU7 and stick it in the V3 (erase position)!
    Tech@fulltone.com told me about this, it makes the repeats totally warm and PHATTER. I asked the same thing you're thinking, How could the erase tube make it "sound better?"
    Cool Answer from Mike: "..the erase head is housed in the same casing as the Record head, very close in proximity, so the white noise (used to erase the signal on the tape) generated by certain tubes can actually be recorded by the record head and heard as distortion."
    Apparently, Fulltone was having so many issues with D.O.A ElectroHarmonix 12AT7's that Mike stumbled upon the JJ12AU7 and has been estatic ever since.

I've fallen deeper in love with the TTE lately.

4. sagezero_420

sagezero_420 Supporting Member

Thanks for the tip... just ordered a few of these and am looking forward to trying it out.

5. lv

lv Supporting Member

only concern with studio use is the running tape is audible and would be picked up by a condenser mic. other than that it is a wonderful sounding unit.

6. blood5150

blood5150 Member

I really want one too.... but I just ordered the new Skreddy Echo which is based on his old Echoplex...if that doesnt cut it.. then maybe a TTE or an old space echo is in my future...

7. shakti

shakti Member

Didn't they *originally* use a 12AU7 in that position? Then all the hoopla about an EH 12AT7 supposed to be much better, and now they're back to 12AU7? IIRC, the stock tube in my TTE (serial # in the 200s) was a JJ 12AU7. So now we've come full circle? :jo

8. albuht813

albuht813 Member

If you're going to buy one, definitely buy it used. These units have a habit of showing up all the time...terrific unit! Look at the instruction manuals at the fulltone site for all your maintenance concerns. Basically, you're going to need a demagnetizer, rubber conditioner, and tapes.

I actually love the sound when the tape gets really old. The echos get really warbly and even somewhat distorted. I've been using the same cartridge for over 6 months now. Some of you may frown at it, but I love the sound!

9. pbone

pbone Member

From the guy who couldn't justify the Moog MF-104z?

10. Jay Douglas

Jay Douglas Member

Spoken like a tube- newbie;)
    They haven't come full circle....Tubes are getting worse and worse, and changing design constantly, I suppose due partially to ROHS regs.

11. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

if you're having doubts... i would wait for the SSTE to come out. Fulltone's Solid State tape echo is coming out at the end of the year I think. Should be cheaper than the TTE, and if echoplexes are any indicator, the solid state echo might even sound better.

12. shakti

shakti Member

So you're saying the design of the JJ 12AU7 has changed since 2004 or whenever they made mine, and now it's all of a sudden better than it was when it was replaced with an EH 12AT7?

I'm sorry, I don't think this adds up. I think this is pure marketing BS. I think it has more to do with their not being able to get consistently good tubes, so they go with the one which has the lowest reject rate and pretending that it's their "latest discovery"..."so much better than what we used to use". I'm just calling this like I see it. I tried a Mullard 12AT7 in the erase position when the talk about the EH12AT7 appeared. I couldn't immediately detect any difference, better or worse, than the JJ 12AU7 that was already there, so I left the JJ in. And I'm a NOS whore...

13. paraedolia

paraedolia Member

Hey, how reliable is that info? There's been some rumour for quite a while -- there was some mention on the MF's website ages ago saying due in 2008. Has he made any progress? I'd love a SS TTE.

14. katarzis

katarzis Member

can you please give more info about that?
    thanks.

15. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

Well he actually put it up on his website to quell the rumors. He said that the SS-TE is going to come out and he's shooting for the $5-600 price point, but only cost of material/labor will get you the final tally.

16. zygoat

zygoat Supporting Member

What are people using as a footswitch? What would work as one?

17. shakti

shakti Member

I stumbled across a spare Fender footswitch for the reverb/vibrato, the type with stereo jacks, not RCA plugs. That works great and will switch both the effect and the sound-on-sound feature.

18. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

Great unit. I wish I still had mine.

19. FAC

FAC Member

Great unit, if you can justify the $$. There's nothing like a tape echo, despite what all the other non-tape-echo pedal manufacturer's would like you to think. Chances are you could spend more trying out all the other analogue and digital pedals when you could have got one of these in the first place (well, this was my justification...ha ha ha).

In terms of maintenance, I just clean the tape heads and transport rollers from time to time (takes no more than 5 minutes). I've had it for ~6 months and have not felt the need to change the tape yet (YMMV).

I don't use a foot switch to turn it on and off...I have it in a true bypass loop because I do not want my guitar running through its preamp all the time. However, I found the Boss FS-5L worked fine as a foot switch (Fulltone recommended).

Upon the recommendation of other forum-folks, I set the unit on its side if I am in a "quiet setting" and the tape cartridge is a bit squeaky, so that the tape cartridge is vertical rather than horizontal (I rest it on its faceplate)...no more mechanical noises from the tape cartridge!