Seriously considering an LP Classic

Blue4Now

Gold Supporting Member
So I decided I really want an LP. I have always liked the Classics necks and hot pickups (I know many here do not liek the stock pickups). I must say I checked a few out yesturday and they are quitre nice. Now I know they have two peice backs and are chamered but do I need to consider that a downside? I really love the LP Classic Gold top and am likely going to put down my hard earned cash on one of these, any thoughts?

sqadan

I had a Les Paul classic a few years ago... At the time it was the best bang for the buck Gibson had IMO. Vintage vibe at a much lower price than the Historics... I have to agree with others around here though - the hot cermaic pickups did nuthin' for me... I replaced them almost immediately with 57' Classics.

Blue4Now

Gold Supporting Member
HMMM the two I looked at yesturday had two piece backs. Do some of these have more than two piece backs?

Drew68

Silver Supporting Member
I have a 2000 Classic I bought used last year. Two piece plain top and one piece back. I've looked closely and I can't find a seam on the back anywhere. I love it! I wanted a plain top Lester with a thin neck and this leaves pretty much the Classic line. I could do without the greenish inlays but, to be honest, I didn't even notice they were green until I started reading about people hating them on guitar forums.

The ceramic pickups are HOT!!! I toned mine down a bit by putting covers on them. I'm in no hurry to swap 'em out.

I'd buy another Classic easily. No regrets at all.

heavysoul

Love mine. i have 2005 copper-top classic. love the fast neck. i too wasn't crazy about the hot PUs so i replaced them with dimarzio virtual PAFs

fairly light too. probaby 8.5 lbs.

Blue4Now

Gold Supporting Member
heavysoule, I am very curious, is yours a gold top or copper top (well I know you said copper) but does it look just loke a Gold Top? The two I saw at GC really looked just like gold tops and not the more copper color I have seen in the past on Classics.

Oh, and i shoudl add the guy at GC told me that Gisbon is only making Gold Top classics for GC now. I do not see them available anywhere els.

carbz

Silver Supporting Member
I've got a 2005 black classic with gold hardware I may part with. It's a beautiful guitar I just don't really play it much. PM or email me if your interested.

heavysoul

heavysoule, I am very curious, is yours a gold top or copper top (well I know you said copper) but does it look just loke a Gold Top? The two I saw at GC really looked just like gold tops and not the more copper color I have seen in the past on Classics.

Oh, and i shoudl add the guy at GC told me that Gisbon is only making Gold Top classics for GC now. I do not see them available anywhere els.
it's a coppertop. but on certain angles depending on the light, it looks like a goldtop—kinda cool. here's a pic.

tj1004

Silver Supporting Member
I love mine. I've read some negative reviews on them but I've had mine since 2000 and its been nothing but a great guitar. I've gone through several sets of pickups but recently but the stock ceramics back in, and I'm actually enjoying them, pickup height makes a noticable difference and I lowered them a bit to tone them down. I plays good, looks good, sounds good, I couldnt ask for more. Though I am currently fiending for an R8, but thats a different story

Blue4Now

Gold Supporting Member
Very intersting, that is definately not the color of the gold top I saw yesturday. That really looks like copper.

Trending Topics