• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Seriously? I Just Bought the SDOTD And Then This? (Carvin Content)

JoeInOttawa

Carvin is like when your mom comes home from the grocery store with "Oat O's" instead of Cheerio's...
You know, I've had some really nice, serviceable gear from Carvin, notably one of their old analog boards and an in-ear setup that I still prefer to the Audio Technica setup I bought after the Carvin and subsequently sold. Their guitars tend to be not terrible, as well.

JoeInOttawa

No power switch, fx loop, or onboard eq. Not sure you can bridge it, either. Also, that power supply. Also, Carvin. Bullet dodged I'd say.
Why would you want a loop? The pedal amps it competes with don't have power switches either (Quilter Mini 45, EHX, Mooer), and only the Quilter has an EQ. If this is an ICE-based pedal, it could actually be quite good.

It is not bridgeable but it will send a mono input to two cabs.

But yeah, the surplus laptop power supply...

...Ugh.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
Why would you want a loop? The pedal amps it competes with don't have power switches either (Quilter Mini 45, EHX, Mooer), and only the Quilter has an EQ. If this is an ICE-based pedal, it could actually be quite good.

It is not bridgeable but it will send a mono input to two cabs.

But yeah, the surplus laptop power supply...

...Ugh.
I'm comparing it to what you just bought, feature wise.

hippietim

Gold Supporting Member
Generic stuff can be just fine. Often indistinguishable from the real brand name product.

Cheerios is an exception. F**king "Oatie-Os", "Toasted Oat Rings", "Toasty Os", "Joe's Os", etc. all suck. There is no acceptable substitute for real Cheerios.

Cola is another exception. Growing up my mom would sometimes bring home Craigmont Cola or some other hideous generic cola wanna be and then complain that nobody would drink it. Well duh, it tastes like crap.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
Generic stuff can be just fine. Often indistinguishable from the real brand name product.

Cheerios is an exception. F**king "Oatie-Os", "Toasted Oat Rings", "Toasty Os", "Joe's Os", etc. all suck. There is no acceptable substitute for real Cheerios.

Cola is another exception. Growing up my mom would sometimes bring home Craigmont Cola or some other hideous generic cola wanna be and then complain that nobody would drink it. Well duh, it tastes like crap.
Never reveal the hidden acronym in RC Cola :anon

Dominik

No power switch, fx loop, or onboard eq. Not sure you can bridge it, either. Also, that power supply. Also, Carvin. Bullet dodged I'd say.
Every pedal sized power amp has a 24VDC brick.

All that really matters is that it proves to be reliable. 50W per side should be more than enough to drive wet effects in stereo with a dry amp for those seeking a pedalboard friendly wet/dry/wet rig or for a HX Stomp, etc.

The upside even if you hate Carvin is competition is always a good thing and this might make Duncan revisit the design of their PowerStage 170 to allow an 85/85 stereo split.

You know, I've had some really nice, serviceable gear from Carvin, notably one of their old analog boards and an in-ear setup that I still prefer to the Audio Technica setup I bought after the Carvin and subsequently sold. Their guitars tend to be not terrible, as well.
Carvin guitars are absolutely incredible, their pro audio/amp stuff however is kinda universally considered meh. I've only ever tried a Legacy amp and it really wasn't very inspiring, I think the guitars are where they excelled.

Blanket Jackson

is Tio's favorite
Gold Supporting Member
Good for you OP. I would want some kind of way to control the volume in each output, but for the price it is pretty killer.

Trending Topics