Service report on my drunk Zoom H-4

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Frankenstrat2, May 31, 2008.

1. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

For those of you who may have missed it:
    Last week I posted this in another thread:
    At the last gig I tried to hook the tripod onto one of those glass racks on the bar over the heads of the patrons. My H-4 took a 3 foot dive into a pint of Lager. LOL.
    Now the LED display is good for a glowing green nightlight, thats about it.
    Its not under warrantee either.
    I called Zoom service. The US distributer is Samson, right here on LI. They charge a minimum advance deposit of $100 for out of warrantee service, and will let me know if it will cost more or less. If its more, I may trash it and go for something even better. But it 'was' a very utilitarian tool for my purposes.
    I was hoping they had a policy similar to HP. When an HP printer dies (and they often do) they do not repair them or sell parts. They sell you a reconditioned one at around 1/2 price and extend the warrantee.
    I'll let you know what Samson says about my tipsy H-4 after they give me the estimate.

The unit arrived in a day. they called me with an estimate within a few days of receiving the unit.
    It is out of warrantee (more than a year)
    I paid $250 new.
    Repair cost was $150.
    They offered to sell me a new unit for $199.
    I asked if the new unit would be under warrantee (not for drowning, but normal use). At first the answer was no, then it was yes.
    I decided I liked the unit well enough to pop for another one. I found it was a really useful tool for live recording.
    This time I'm getting one of those Gorillapod tripods.

2. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member