1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Service report on my drunk Zoom H-4

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Frankenstrat2, May 31, 2008.

1. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

For those of you who may have missed it:
    Last week I posted this in another thread:
    At the last gig I tried to hook the tripod onto one of those glass racks on the bar over the heads of the patrons. My H-4 took a 3 foot dive into a pint of Lager. LOL.
    Now the LED display is good for a glowing green nightlight, thats about it.
    Its not under warrantee either.
    I called Zoom service. The US distributer is Samson, right here on LI. They charge a minimum advance deposit of $100 for out of warrantee service, and will let me know if it will cost more or less. If its more, I may trash it and go for something even better. But it 'was' a very utilitarian tool for my purposes.
    I was hoping they had a policy similar to HP. When an HP printer dies (and they often do) they do not repair them or sell parts. They sell you a reconditioned one at around 1/2 price and extend the warrantee.
    I'll let you know what Samson says about my tipsy H-4 after they give me the estimate.

The unit arrived in a day. they called me with an estimate within a few days of receiving the unit.
    It is out of warrantee (more than a year)
    I paid $250 new.
    Repair cost was $150.
    They offered to sell me a new unit for $199.
    I asked if the new unit would be under warrantee (not for drowning, but normal use). At first the answer was no, then it was yes.
    I decided I liked the unit well enough to pop for another one. I found it was a really useful tool for live recording.
    This time I'm getting one of those Gorillapod tripods.

2. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member