Servicing a vintage Silvertone 1454

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by chilipedals, Jan 24, 2012.

1. chilipedals

chilipedals Member

Does anyone have any tips on how to service a semi-hollow '65 Silvertone 1454? Only the front pickup works and the switch didn't seem to be the problem and I need to get inside the rest to debug it. Fish wires, strings? Servicing the tiny pots seems to be a challenge without losing the ability to get them back up through the holes. This is my first try at this kind of guitar. Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks!

Bryan
    [​IMG]

2. m-m-m

m-m-m Member

in the past I've uses shoe laces, but fishing line or what ever should work too.

Remove the bridge pickup (pickup ring and all). Take the knobs off the pots and tie or tape a little piece of the string to each pot. Then remove the nuts and washers from the pots and remove them from the body through the pickup hole. Make sure you've got enough length on the string so that some is still hanging out of the hole where the pot was. Maybe use some low tack tape so that it doesn't fall into the body.Do the work you need to do, and when it's time to put it all back together pull the string hanging out of the pot hole and pull the pot back into position. Keep in mind that you will likely have to do this with each pot since they are all wired together.

Is that what you needed to know? I tried to give you the abridged version, hoping that you can connect the dots.

3. m-m-m

m-m-m Member

just looked at the pic again. the fact that this guitar has 6 pots may make it tricky. It's possible that you may only have to remove the vol and tone pots for the pickups that are giving you problems. It may be tricky. Good luck and take your time - if your not confident that you can do it, there's no shame in taking it to somebody.

4. chilipedals

chilipedals Member

Thanks! I figured I'd have to do something like this. I am hoping to be able to work on just one pickup at a time by removing just the volume and tone pot for a single pickup. I'll give it a shot with the string method starting with the bridge pickup.

5. SUPROficial

SUPROficial Member

You probably figured this out by now, but can't do that, and here's why:

[​IMG]

6. LarryN

LarryN Member

I've used dental floss or surgical tubing. Long lengths are good, to prevent pulling through the holes. Great pics, surprise wiring! The modular wiring is trickier, for sure.

7. chilipedals

chilipedals Member

Thanks for the pictures. I haven't worked on it yet so it helps. I may eventually get around to it.