Set neck "strat"

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by shred4Him, Aug 27, 2008.

1. shred4Him

shred4Him Member

I have been looking for my next guitar. I am just one of those really picky people. Anyway, I used to own a Washburn JB100. It was a Jennifer Batten signature guitar. The basic concept of it was a set neck super strat. JB jr. in the bridge and two duckbuckers, maple set neck, swamp ash body with flame maple top (I think it was a veneer). The guitar was super comfy, but I sold it because I couldn't get used to the narrow neck (I like 1-11/16, this was 1-5/8, my fingers can tell the difference) and because the guitar was neck heavy. I can't stand trying to balance a guitar I am trying to play.

Anyway, all of that to say, are there any other guitar makers out there who do a set neck "strat?" It doesn't have to be a strat body style at all. Just something that will give me that general vibe and sound. This, obviously, wouldn't be a guitar that is intended to be a vintage strat replacement, but more of somthing unique and familiar at the same time.

2. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

Find yourself an old Guild S70.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GAD

3. sliberty

sliberty Member

Squire used to make a few Fender like guitars with set necks. Not sure if those models are still available.

4. eyeball987

eyeball987 Member

The Fender Showmasters from Korea were set necks. Very shreddy feel with the thin flat neck and jumbo frets.

5. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

6. Speed_Racer71

Speed_Racer71 Member

7. Aardvark

Aardvark Silver Supporting Member

Warrior built this one for me. Lightly chambered swamp ash, virtually no finish. It feels and sounds as good as it looks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. 57paf

57paf Member

If you are looking for a "set neck" based on sound rather than looks, the current Tom Anderson Classic models might just be the ticket. TAGs now have a trapezoidal shaped neck base and pocket. This results in a much tighter coupling like a glued in neck with more bass. See: http://www.andersonguitars.com/questions.html
    John Suhr mentioned to me when I called him a couple years ago that his customers prefer a more vintage sound, so he is staying with the 4-bolt backplate vs. adapting something like the Anderson neck joint.
    I think that the A-lock neck joint has been around for only a couple years, so if shopping used, its still less common.
    Another thing that Tom likes for a fuller sound is the use of Ferraglide saddles. He says that they sound fuller that other block style saddles and way more than the vintage style bent steel saddles, but without losing the highs. I plan on ordering my Ferraglides today.

9. shred4Him

shred4Him Member

WOW!! That is a sweet guitar. That is really along the lines I am thinking. I may end up going with somebody to make it from scratch.

Thanks guys for all of the input. There are some really good ideas. I also like the CP Thornton Fusion. Really cool idea. I still have much research to do, so if any more ideas pop up, then keep them coming.

10. Aardvark

Aardvark Silver Supporting Member

Thanks. Good luck on your search.

11. shawntp

shawntp Member

I remember seeing a Fender custom shop strat that had a set neck back in the late 90's at a guitar shop in Rochester, NY when I was in college. At the time I was like - this is odd but very cool. It was something like $2500+ at the time but I'd have to imagine it wasn't the only one they churned out.

12. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

Also check out the Jackson Soloist. I love the neck on mine.

GAD

13. jtees4

jtees4 Member

Carvin for sure...there also was a Yamaha made awhile ago that was great, but I can't remember the model.

14. acwild

acwild Member

Was that the Ritchie Blackmore neck-through?

15. Brett Faust

Brett Faust Member

B3 built by Gene Baker, nice!

16. kodecar

kodecar Member

:agree

17. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

18. shred4Him

shred4Him Member

I have kicked around the idea of neckthrough, but having the bridge and the pickups sitting on maple might make it a little bright sounding. I used to have a neckthrough Carvin, and it was a tad bright at times. The body wings don't really make as much of a difference as it they do with other guitars.

Carvin: I really like their guitars, but again, the neckthrough thing is not my sonic cup of tea. Also, I am looking for 22 fret and their neckthroughs are 24. So, they won't really work.

This has been a more difficult search than I anticipated. However, the Warrior does look AWESOME!

19. auraelux

auraelux Member

The Fender TC-90s are thinline strats with Tele controls, P90s and a set neck. That's a pretty awesome strat style guitar with an original kick. Also check out the JA-90, the Jim Adkins signature model (from Jimmy Eat World)

20. Memorex

Memorex Member

Musikraft is now making set neck strats and teles. I've only seen pics on the net, but they look nice. I emailed them about custom neck specs and headstocks and they told me they can make just about anything you want. The basic model is $495 for the wood, but by the time you upgrade and add a nitro finish, you're probably looking at a grand. By the time you add hardware and a case, maybe $1600 or so. I want a set neck tele myself, so I may look into this more next year.