Seth Lover Users...Do you find them "Middy"?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MBreinin, Sep 16, 2008.

1. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

I have a set of Seths in a an early 70's Les Paul. I was playing last night and was playing a different guitar for the majority of the night. I then switched to the Paul and I noticed the tone was very mid focused. I did not change the amp settings at all, but there was a huge difference in the tone between the two guitars. The first guitar is single hum maple necked Strat with a hybrid pickup made from a Custom and a '59. It has a very rounded tone and is great for getting the Brown Sound. I have always found that pickup to be magic. I have to say that while I have always been a huge fan of Seths, I was startled by the difference between the two guitars. Has anyone else experienced this with Seths, or do you find them to be well rounded?

Mike

2. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

Not at all, they're pretty much frequency focused same as a real PAF. It's probably the guitar and lots of mids in a Les Paul is a good thing unless you have no top or bottom..

3. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

A Les Paul is probably "middy". Seths have always struck me as being slightly spikey in the high end.

4. Radagacuca

Radagacuca Member

+1 on the guitar....
    i had a 77 lp artisan that was very midheavy and lacking bottom end. i tried different pickups (voodoo 59´s, burstbuckers, classic 57´s) but none was able to fix "it". some may like that but it just wasn´t what i was expecting since i had some nice historic les pauls i sold the artisan after all....

5. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

My Seth's don't seem middy. Just sounds like you went from a Strat to an LP to me :D.

-Austin

6. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

Well, true it was a Strat, albeit one with a single humbucker. This is a good sounding Paul though, although I find the Seths have a little too much top end for my taste, at least in the bridge. I can live with the mids. I may try something else in this one down the road. We will see.

Mike

7. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Seth's are very bright and open (airy), slightly thinner with a lot of clarity....compared to other humbuckers.

8. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

According to Don Mare - Seths with full strength magnets are the shi-zit....

jb

9. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

It's not the pup, it's the guitar!

Send it to me and I'll send you another Les Paul.;):D

10. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

The early '70's LP's can be a little strident in the high end. Sometimes a bit of an overwound pup in the bridge works good screwed down low.

11. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

If you want to open up the tone more, put on an aluminum tailpiece.