1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Seth Lovers - I owe Seymour Duncan an apology...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by corgiears, Dec 28, 2005.

1. corgiears

corgiears Member

I gave my opinion of Ducan's Seth Lover pickups a while back based on my experience with them in a particular guitar. I don't know if something was wrong with those pickups or if it was just the combination of guitar/pup/amp... but they didn't sound good.

Fast forward - I recently got a Heritage H535 with Seths in it and the guitar sounds fantastic. The neck is warm and clear, bridge has bite and a nice grind, and the in-betweens are woody. And they sound great with some overdrive..... I'm pretty sure that this is what these pickups are SUPPOSED to sound like!

So I admit it - Mr. Duncan - I was wrong, these are great pickups..... :Spank

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

My observation with Seth Lovers is that they sound good in a solid body guitar but really come to life in a semi-hollow or hollow body.

I had one in my Carvin Bolt kit and it sounded pretty good there but I wanted something a little heavier so I moved the Seth over to my Ibanez Artcore TM71. It sounds fantastic there, like you said, warm, clear, woody, a very nice tone to have in a lower end semi-hollow. I can imagine how much better it would sound on a higher end semi-hollow like a Heritage.

3. nsriley

nsriley Member

I am considering picking up a Washburn HB32 (all mahogany 335 copy) for a steal price......and I know the pickups will have to go.....I'll keep the Seth's in mind! Cool!

-Peace
    -Nate

4. Shemp

Shemp Member

The Gibson 57s are a great choice in a semi as well

5. rusmurf

rusmurf Member

Seth Lovers rock! My favorite pickup period.

6. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I've also heard great things about the Seth's in the right guitar.

However, Seymore Duncan owes me an apology for ever making the Lil' 59 for a Tele. Everything they say that pickup is, it is not.

7. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

It seems to me that the Seths really sound good in the right guitar but kind of bland in some.

I've most liked them in chambered or semi-hollow guitars that are a little bright.

I have a Hamer Monaco Super Pro on the way that I have a set of Seths all ready to install when it gets here and I'm hoping they really go well in that.:)

8. corgiears

corgiears Member

Interesting - that seems to be a theme in this thread! I'd be interested to hear how they sound in your Super Pro!

9. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

I'm pumped. The guitar is supposed to arrive next Tuesday. I have a "pseudo-jazz" gig 10 days later so I'll have time to put the Seths in and do a some fine-tuning before then.

10. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

Humbucking pickups do not belong in Telecasters, Keef notwithstanding.

11. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I have a Duncan 59 in my Teles neck and I LOVE it. Won't change a thing. Its all about the wood..........:AOK

12. al carmichael

al carmichael Member

The right pickup in the right guitar is magic. I think I agree with OldSchool--its all about the wood. In other words, what kind of resonance the guitar has, what kind of fundamental and overtones the instrument produces acoustically. I've never found a pickup that makes a bad guitar sound great--maybe a little better.

In my best sounding guitars, every pickup I tried sounded good. The differences were just tonal balance and output. When I was working in the guitar shop I had customers that went through tons of pickup experiments with the same guitars and great pickups could never bring life to a dead guitar.

I think even Seymour would agree.

13. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I just went thru a similar epiphany with Antiquity's just this week. They were my first aftermarket PU swap and I forgot about them after going on the boo-teek circuit but decided to try them again after listening to some old recordings I'd done with that first set. They are excellent!

14. tommyg

tommyg Member

I have Seth Lovers in my H535. In my Heritage 150 ("Les Paul") I have HighOrder pups and absolutley ADORE those pups in that guitar. I was planning on ordering another pair of HO pups for the H535 but I just played my 535 the other day and said "these Seth Lovers are FANTASTIC for this guitar! Why change it???"

...so the Seth's are staying in the 535! :AOK

15. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

I just put a set of Seth Lovers into my PRS Hollowbody Spruce and they really work well in there. Previously I had a set of Fralin Humbuckers (8k/9k). Although the Fralins were a HUGE improvement over the stock pickups, I wanted the Fralins for my solidbody PRS. (Where they KILL by the way...). So I stuck a spare set of Seth Lovers into the Hollowbody Spruce and they work really well. Nice warm and balanced tones. Perfect for all buy the heaviest distortion. In fact, at practice this week we were goofing off with a little Sanata jam and the rig was SMOKIN'. PRS HB Spruce -> RC Booster -> Zendrive -> Dr Z Route 66 -> Z 1x12 cab. TOTALLY SINGS!!!!

16. corgiears

corgiears Member

and I wondered why the reaction was so strong to my original opinion of these pickups...... :jo