1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Seth Lovers in my Semi-Hollow

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by doveman, May 24, 2011.

1. doveman

doveman Member

Well I finally modified my only stock guitar. My Yamaha SA2000 has been totally stock since I bought it new in 1980. The pickups have always been a tad hot but the guitar has always been killer ... sustain machine. Back off the volume a little and the semi-tones shine through.

Did some research ... located a new set of gold Seths ... made the replacement. I really do like the result a lot. It still has those same characteristics but it's a bit less output ... less hot ... a bit better brighter tone overall. But the high strings are a bit warmer and less harsh.

[​IMG]

Still have a bit of work to do with the pickup rings but the replacements have been shipped. I did have to rough up the new gold covers to match the slightly warn 31 year old guitar. But not nearly the antiquities sort of aging. Those gold antiquities look way too worn. Pictures are before I roughed up the covers.

Pretty happy ... although it always takes a bit of time to choose ... I always seem to like the changes after they are done. This one is killer.

:D

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  2. mgarrison99

mgarrison99 Silver Supporting Member

Good for you. i had stock Seths in my Hamer Artist Custom, and just switched out the bridge pup with a Custom Custom because i wanted the hotter lead sound. the neck sounds great however.Glad you found your tone. Have you thought about checking your pots and maybe upgrading to an RS Guitarworks kit for more clarity? however, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

3. doveman

doveman Member

I've got an RS-Guitarworks kit in my Les Paul so I'm familiar with what you're talking about ... really woke up my LP with the 57/57+ that had volume pots in the 275k range. But the Yamaha has 500k volume pots already ... unlike the 300k that come in some Gibson 335s. The quality of the parts in the Yamaha's electronics is pretty good. In 1980 these guys were doing it pretty well. But if I were to change them ... that's probably the way I'd go. But I really like what I'm hearing with the pickup change.

4. Blues Power

Blues Power Member

i have one in my MIA blues boy. I find the pup to be very full and warm.
    great for blues and classic rock.

been using it 5 years and have no urge to change it.

btw love the SA 2000. i had a chance to buy one also back in 80 and choose an LP instead.

I just saw a mint one last week for $1300 and if my wife wasent there with me I would have prob grabbed it for like $1100 or so.

5. doveman

doveman Member

Yeah ... the first time I played a friend's SA2000 at a jam session back then I was a died-in-the-wool LP guy. Sold my LP to fund the Yamaha ... could not get the Yamaha since they were out-of-stock in USA at the time. I bought a Gibson 335 ... beautiful guitar but did not do it for me like the Yamaha. Sold the 335 within a few weeks when I stumnbled across a buyer for the 335 ... held on to the money until they restocked the Yamaha. My only guitar from 1980 until about 2005 when I started buying guitars again ... including another LP. But I'll never sell this Yamaha Semi. Took a over 30 years to decide to even touch a solder joint on it. :)

6. Blues Power

Blues Power Member

good choice. best part back then is they were MIJ. real nice quality

Remeber the Ibanez Artist series back in 80. another real nice MIJ guitar.
    I had a chance for that also but the price was only about $100 less than the LP so thats what i "ended up with"

I hacked up the LP with coil taps switching, should have never drilled it all out. but I was 17 and didnt know any better

sill have it today though but still wishing for what i missed.

7. doveman

doveman Member

Pickup rings arrived ... sanded to fit and look really good now. Still sounding good. Since this is the first time I've pulled the wires off the standard pickups I finally got to measure them ... they were 8.9k & 8.95k DC ... almost identical. The new Seths are 7.5k and 8.1k and definitely have a lighter touch which is good. So this project is done I believe.

8. hacker

hacker Member

Seths are killer in a semi-hollow. I had a set in a Gibson ES-333 and the tone gave my custom shop 335 a run for its money.

Your SA2000 is gorgeous. These things have better sustain than the Gibbys I've played. I would like to keep mine, but I have to sell some gear. Mine is in the emporium and I'd let it go for $1100.

9. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

Where are the new ones made? Korea?

10. doveman

doveman Member

I decided to go ahead and upgrade but rather than pay the RS price for the harness, I just bought a couple of the SuperPots and will wire the harness myself. I really do like the taper and the fact that they are all 550k+. They should be here Monday or Tuesday, I have everything else ready to go.

What came out of the Yamaha: volume pots = both 475k, tone pots = both 350k, tone caps = both .022uf, the Yamaha switch looked as good or better than the Switchcraft so I'm going to reuse it.

Going back in: Two RS Guitarworks SuperPots = ~550k+, tone pots = 500k, orange drop caps .015uf neck and .022uf bridge, going to reuse the Yamaha switch (it looked as good or better than the Swichcraft short plus it fits and the switch tip matches the trim). The combination of higher value pots and a bit brighter cap on the neck pickup should make this even better. Also ... I can set up the original and hotter Yamaha pickups with the same connectors. Swap every now and then to the hotter stock pickups or mix and match since they are in their own pickup rings.

Wish me luck on pulling the new wiring next week.

Edit: Up and running and it works fine.

:D

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  11. doveman

doveman Member

Update: Roughly 6 months (after the honeymoon) and I'm still liking the Seths in the Yamaha SA2000. Not as hot ... have a softer edge ... and the bridge is a bit brighter. All good stuff. BTW I've been loving this guitar since I bought it new in 1980 and it's even better now.