Seth Lovers vs WCR Crossroads

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by EXP, Aug 24, 2005.

1. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

im torn between these two humbuckers, both sound good in the clips. ive heard that the seth lovers,since their unpotted tend to squeel at high gain and the neck tends to get muddy.

anybody had experience with either of these pups?

2. corgiears

corgiears Member

I just put the Crossroads set in my SG and really like them. The neck is warm but still articulate and the bridge just screams.

I also had a set of Seth Lovers in a heritage 535 and wasn't wild about them. The neck was kind of muddy and overall they were just too mid-rangy and nasal. It could have been the combination of those pickups in that guitar because alot of people rave about the Seths, but I just didn't like them.

3. Scott_F

Scott_F Gold Supporting Member

I've not tried the Crossroads. But, I've played a lot of Duncans, including the Seths. Great pups. I certainly wouldn't describe the neck pup as muddy at all.

They are not wax potted to be true to the original design. Never had a squeel problem.

4. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

I have a set of Seth Lovers in a Les Paul. I'm pretty happy with them. That being said, I probably will put Wcr pups in it someday.

I have Wcr Darkbursts in a Prs and really am impressed with them. I had my Seth's potted before I even installed them and have no squeal problems. Never heard them un-potted, as my tech said there wouldn't be much difference except for the squeal.
    I don't think the Seth neck is muddy.

For my money, I think I would go with the Wcr pups, as the Seths are a little pricey also. If you were to go with less expensive Duncans, I would say Alnico Pro 2's are really nice.

Just Mho,

Larry

5. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

ok seth lovers out, WCR crossroads, Schallers Golden 50's, and Dimarzio Humbucker from hell still in

6. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

The Seth Lover pickups seem to be very much guitar dependent. They won't fix an average sounding guitar and will possibly make it sound worse. But they can sound fantastic in the right guitar. If mine ever needed to be replaced though, I'd go the WCR route.
    I have a set of Torres pafs that sound great but supposedly the guy that wound them is no longer there.

7. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

I think not being potted is an advantage in the Seth's/Antiquities. There's a difference that I hear, and it's related to something I hear in real PAFs. More importantly, it's a quality that I like.

/rick

8. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

ive had seth's in a couple guitars in the past, including a les paul. i always thought they sounded really nice. like an old PAF. i havent tried any WCR's yet due to them being more pricey, but i will be putting a set in my baker soon enough!

9. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

I agree about the Seths being guitar dependant. While you could probably state a case for all pickups, the Seths seem much more so than others.

I've read ( mostly Torres hype ) and wondered about Torress pickups. There was quite a bit of positive info when their tele and strat pups were introduced. How do they compare to the Seths/WCR's?

While I've been please with Seths in several gutiars, my only experience with Wagners was putting a Goodwood ( in place of a Seth ) in the neck of a chambered tele. In fariness to the GW, I should have changed the pots from 250's, but the GW did not work well in that guitar.

Are Wagners voiced more for Les Pauls?

10. MCG

MCG Member

I curently have a Seth in the bridge of my Melody Maker/SG and love the soud it produces in that guitar. It's very warm and full. The sound I hear reminds me instantly of the PAF tones I've heard from Skynyrd, ABB, AC/DC, and ZZ Top records.

I usally turn the tone knob down to about 6 to roll off a bit of the highs for tastes. But evean with the tone at 10 (.022 cap) the Seth isn't thin or overly brite.

As far as I'm concered the Seth Lover is my favorite Seymour Duncan humbucker.

I have yet to hear a Crossroads, but would love to. I'm planning of shoping for a McCarty in the future and if I don't replace the pickups with Seths, the WCR's may get a try.

MCG

11. Shemp

Shemp Member

I have Antiquities in one LP and WCR Crossroads in another. They both sound great. If you have Lovers in a guitar already, Crossroads won't make it sound better, only slightly different.

It depends on what you like and the guitar that they're placed in.

12. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I have antiquities in my les paul as well and love them, i even put them in a 336 that i recently sold. Both guitars sounded awesome with them, and I never had a problem with them squeeling with higher gain, they respond well to feedback, you can certainly control it in the best of ways.

13. johan

johan Member

so what's the difference between the Seth Lovers and the Duncan Antiquitys? :confused:

14. Shemp

Shemp Member

Aged covers.

15. MCG

MCG Member

16. johan

johan Member

And that's the only difference???

17. stratlad

stratlad Member

This is a good thread as I had this same WCR / Seth debate and got the Seths. I just took them in today to get installed and won't get them for a week, but the tech said the Seths were a very good choice. His take was that other boutique pups (WCRs?) would be a tad better perhaps, but not radically better. We'll see

I'd like to hear more about the WCR tones as well.

18. Shemp

Shemp Member

Yes and well, the Antiquities look cooler.

19. Shemp

Shemp Member

That's the thing about all these PAF debates. There's a touch of different mojo in each of the different winders presentation, but imho just about all of them sound great in the right instrument through the right amp.

I had the same set of antiquities and voodoo 59s in an LP Studio and an R7. The Antiquities sounded incredible in the Studio and mezza metz in the R7. The Voodoo 59s sounded tremendous in the R7 but were lacking mids in the Studio.

I put the Antiquities back in the Studio and tried a set of Crossroads in the R7, and those are there to stay. They nail the early Cream tone to a T in that guitar, but they aren't any better than the Voodoos. I just want that guitar to sound like early C;apton for awhile. Btw, the 59s were pretty close and sound awesome, but there is a slightly more upper mid emphasis in the Crossroads.

I'll tell you that Clapton would make any of them sound like Clapton.... they're all that good!

Flaming Yawn likes this.
  20. oldguitar

oldguitar Member

I haven't tried both in the same guitar, but I had a Hamer Studio that I replaced the stock Duncan 59's with Crossroads. The CR's were very clear, open sounding. I liked the neck pup very much, no mud at all. The bridge however was way too bright (for me). I replaced it with a SD59. I did not change pots or anything which may have made a difference. I also had at the same time, a Newport w/Seth's. It sounded great.

I currently have a Heritage 535 w/Seth's which I like very much. Overall, I don't think you can go wrong with Seth's. To me, they are not muddy and I have not had a sqealing problem, although you can easily get some controlled feedback with a hollowbody. I think the CR's are maybe slightly more open sounding, and the bridge brighter than Seth's.

As always though, different pup's will sound different in different guitars, even two of the same make, model. And the same guitar will sometimes sound different to two different people.