Seth Lover's with 300k pots?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jamison162, Feb 1, 2008.

1. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Has anyone by chance tried Seth Lovers in a LP with 300k +/- pots? I liked these pickups a lot; traded for the AII Pro's. They were a little bright and thin on top, just curious what they (mainly the bridge) would sound like with a 300k vol pot.

2. jamison162

jamison162 Member

3. DavidS

DavidS Supporting Member

I had a set in my Classic for several years, 500k neck 300k bridge. When originally installed had the 500k in the bridge as well. Way too bright...so put the Gibson 300k back in. Made the bridge better...not quite as bright, but still felt it was a little spikey and thin. Tried various caps on the bridge pots as well but never totally happy with the bridge. On the other hand, loved the neck. I think it is a great pickup. Have since swapped out the Lovers and installed '99 57 Classics that were in my R7. The 57 bridge sounds better to my ears than the Lover did. Still bright, but fatter. 57 neck is also fatter, but reallly pretty good as well. They are staying for now. These results were the same whether played thru my DR, Fuchs, or Marshall 2061x.

4. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Are the 57 Classics potted, can't remember?

5. DavidS

DavidS Supporting Member

I'm not sure. I have read some reviews that say they aren't and some that say they are. Maybe they started out unpotted and later changed. I haven't opened mine up to check.

6. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

'57 Classics are all potted.

7. slegros

slegros Member

I swapped from 300k to 500k pots, and it really opened up the sound of the guitar. Albeit it was not with the same pickups, but the guitar just came alive. Why not try 500k pots with .047 caps? That way you'll have the openness from the 500k pots but have some extra range with the caps to take top end off.