Seth MacFarlane and the Oscars/Academy Awards

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Jim S, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

We get that you didn't like him, can you quit beating your drum a minute, take a breath and deal with the fact that some folks thought he was great?

2. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

"Equal opportunity" seemed objectively false enough that it was worth debunking. Like him if you want to -- no big deal. Just don't defend him by making indefensible claims.

Hell, I'd love to see a host who was truly equal opportunity, who would be willing to gore a few of Hollywood's sacred cows. Imagine if George Carlin could have had that gig. The closest was Ricky Gervais doing the Golden Globes, which was a performance far less dependent on tepid stereotypes, and instead full of sharp barbs -- about crappy films made by presenters, about the banality and probable corruption of the host organization, etc.

3. CowTipton

CowTipton Member

I didn't watch the Oscars (too busy watching hockey) but I just saw a clip of Ben Affleck at the end. Wow, was he coked up?

4. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

Okay, nobody had an answer for when this ****-fest became the "Oscars".

It used to be an "Academy Awards" show. Now its just another popularity contest - like most of the other "awards" shows, and just as worthless.

5. cjcayea

cjcayea cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce

wow. i really wish i had watched this.

6. korby

korby Member

Not thrilled with his wife either , nice that he let a few million people know .

7. jtm622

jtm622 Member

"Seth McFarlane", AKA "The BULLY of the Bayou..."

Just like John Shaft - "He's a B-a-a-a-a-a-d Mutha..."

Heh-heh-heh...

:)

8. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I'm sure the academy will be calling you for your support....:nuts

Especially when you compare (what I assume is) some of the best food to (what is considered to be) some of the worst! Give us an objective quality comparision between Burger King and McDonalds! Give us a non-subjective quality comparision between PRS and Gibson.

9. Tonekat

Tonekat Supporting Member

Did anyone else notice that when they mentioned Quentin Tarantino, the camera went to Jack Nicholson?

10. MollyPolly

MollyPolly Senior Member

The point is that you can objectively compare the components/ingredients of things, but you can't objectively compare the experience.

The PRS might have more expensive hardware, better quality woods, more pickup variations, a more consistent finish, smoother fretwork, better inlay work, hand-wound pickups, and on and on.

but what if the Gibson sounds better?

this has actually been my experience, FWIW...

11. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

They rebranded it to The Oscars this year. This seems to have been largely because that is what everyone calls the awards show anyway, and also a way to reinforce the trademark for Oscar while losing the more elevated language of "academy".

The history of AMPAS is not of some glorious bastion of artistry and integrity that has over time become like other award shows driven by popularity, however. AMPAS was established by Louis B. Mayer with the idea that it would mollify filmmakers and actors so that they would kill themselves to do what the studios wanted. Here again is Mayer's famous quote about the inspiration: "I found that the best way to handle [filmmakers] was to hang medals all over them ... If I got them cups and awards they'd kill them[selves] to produce what I wanted. That's why the Academy Award was created".

That it has as often as it has recognized quality work in the medium (and historically it is probably about 50-50 in terms of getting it right or wrong) is a testament to the members' ability to sift through the popularity noise and award genuine quality.

12. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Exactly.

13. Rupe

Rupe Member

:spit

14. Mayfield

Mayfield Member

I thought the Oscars had an edge to it that was much needed, sorely missed and refreshing because Seth took risks. It's a pompous show...period.

To say that the Lincoln joke was in poor taste is proof positive how safe and PC everything has become.

Lenny Bruce is face palming in his grave..

Glad to see that Seth actually stuck his neck out....

15. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

Comedians are given far too much credit these days for being "anti-PC". I'm of the opinion that political correctness is just a windmill people looking for things to be angry about can tilt with already, but it's a bit ridiculous how comedians can be praised simply for offending people. At some point in time everyone forgot that jokes are the most important thing in a comedians repertoire. Being offensive should be, at most, a byproduct.

16. Mayfield

Mayfield Member

It's not hard being anti PC these days.....

We celebrate Halloween at my work. Extremely anti PC.

Thats how vanilla things have become.

I think you make a valid point, I just enjoy it when things are uncomfortable because everyone works so hard to make things comfortable for everyone. Inappropriate behaviors make me laugh. Those are jokes to me.

In fact I think Dave Attell should host next year.

17. wilerty

wilerty Member

I`m sorry ... entertaining doesn't have to be vulgar and rude to be funny. I thought he was poor.

Most seem to love him though, so I must be nuts.

18. Timcito

Timcito Member

Its value, and that of others of its ilk, seems to be to remind us all how important these people are, how enormously more special and talented they are than the common herd, and, most important of all, how richly deserving of their vast wealth they are. It's a kind of diabolic reversal of the religious retreat, in which time is spent to contemplate and exalt spiritual divinity, in that such awards celebrate the divinity of trash and sheer nylon nothingness (I think that comes from a John Cooper-Clarke song ...). A bunch of noisy spoiled brats in Prada with fake boobs, spray-on tears, and weak talent.

Okay, officer, I'll come quietly! :bonk

19. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

Yeah. As I've repeatedly asked, what greater insights were achieved by SM's jokes? That women are nagging, self-obsessed, and c**ts? That's what most of his jokes were about. I just realized that a sizable number of the actresses in his song about boobs (which I thought actually did have some potential) were in performances in which they were being raped. I'm sure that makes no difference to the man-boys in this thread who said they were "taking notes" about which clips to look up for, um, personal fun -- but geez.

Seriously, what did the guy have to say? I'm willing to give extraordinary latitude to someone who actually has something to say.

20. Rupe

Rupe Member

I simply don't understand the need to take such a strong position against something one finds unfunny/distasteful/unpleasant/etc. When that happens to me, I move on...I don't feel the need to get up on a soapbox and yell out to anybody who will listen as to why it's so "bad". I hate Radiohead and think their music is a bunch of pretentious garbage. I don't seek out Radiohead lovers and beat them to death with my viewpoint. I also know that enough people love them to understand that my position isn't "correct", its simply my opinion. I'll listen to something else and let them enjoy their choice without denigrating them.

Obviously a lot of people find Seth to be funny...his success and the fact that he was invited to host the ceremonies confirms that. You and some others don't like him...understood. No show, performer, musician, artist, etc will ever be embraced by everybody. Just because you like/dislike something doesn't make you correct...it just means you have an opinion. Your opinion is no more valid than those who oppose it.

And since when does comedy/entertainment need to have something to say?
    This over-sensitivity to things that aren't to our liking is extremely unbecoming...my opinion. :D