Setting Nut Height

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by stevel, Jul 29, 2008.

1. stevel

stevel Member

I have a strat with an LSR nut.

It was recently refretted and I was told that some shaping of the neck had to be done.

Now it feels like the low E at the first fret is quite high. Let's say that the force I need to press down a note at the third fret is nowhere near what I need to apply to press down the first fret. I mean, I really have to think about pressing the F note down. The Bb on the 5th string is not as bad and it seems to improve as I go up. It wasn't this way before (though I had worn the frets down so much that the rest of the fret job is a vast improvement).

So I understand these nuts have shims. How easy or difficult is this to do?

I can always take it up to a tech, but if it's something I can do at home with automotive feeler gauges or something, and not have to put it in the shop for a week or two, I'd like to try and tackle it.

Advice?

TIA,
    Steve

2. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

It's not difficult. Fret each string @ the 3rd fret. You should have just a small gap @ the 1st fret (about .020") Install or remove shims until you get the right height.

3. DownByLaw

DownByLaw Supporting Member

Not hard at all, particularly if you have the original shims, which have a tapered cut, enabling you to slip them under the nut easily if it is loosened a bit. I too had my strat refretted, and they replaced the stock metal shims with a slip of very slim cardboard. (a card?) Recently I re-shimmed using the original type metal shims, which sound better to my ear on open strings. (more zip) I recommend the original type, or metal feeler gauge method. (cut off feeler gauge)

Patrick

4. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

A small gap when the string is fretted as above.
    The .020" (or to taste within reason) when the strings are open.

5. stevel

stevel Member

Ahh = so I can just loosen it - I don't have to take it completely off - I like the sound of that better. I'm assuming he left the original shims in there, but I guess there's only one way to find out!

Thanks,
    Steve

6. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

Fret toward the bridge of the 3rd fret. When you press the string to the 2nd fret there should be the barest gap you can see - just a literal hair of space. That should put you about right to fret the strings at the lower frets.
    A word of caution - the little stainless shims under the LSR are real easy to lose. I made extra shims out of aluminum pop/beer can material, which is easy to cut to size with scissors. Tone seems fine with the aluminum. If I recall, the can I used was about .003" thickness, so I had to use a few stacked up. I also think you can order the shims from Fender for the LSR, tho I don't know part #.