setting time factor tap tempo with fcb1010

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by labalou, Apr 29, 2008.

1. labalou

labalou Member

Hi gang,
    ive been trying to set the tap tempo feature on the TF with my Behringer fcb1010,so far ive activated CN1 on the fcb1010 and given both (TF and FCB) a controller number 50 with values 1-127 value 2 -0 (on the fcb1010).It seems to trigger thet tap tempo function but sending the wrong time beat when i tap on the fcb1010,can somebody help me? i just want to set it up so it works exactly like the tap switch on the timefactor.
    cheers!
    Luis:dude

2. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

Luis,
    Welcome aboard! I'm not sure how the TF reads midi, so no specifics there.

I recently picked up a fcb1010 and have been wrapping my mind around it, so some thoughts:

Any Behringer firmware sends midi messages on the release of the pedal, not the press. Thus you have to time how you take your foot off the pedal. (not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure).

The fcb1010's tap tempo function is always on. It calculates a time value of any repeatedly played note on function. This is probably not your problem though, as you are using a cc instead.

That said, I recently purchased the UnO firmware eprom which adds a host of new features. Regarding the first "issue", you can set certain pedals to be momentary, sending one value on depress and (optionally) a second on release, or they can be "latching" again sending either one or two values.

Second, global tap tempo is configurable. Lots of other benefits to the changes, and you can still setup the UnO firmware to behave like the Behringer if you want.

Hope this helps. I'm spending a lot of time just setting the unit up, without even touching the controlled devices yet. Practice... so far away...

joe

3. labalou

labalou Member

Hey Joe,
    Brilliant man to find somebody who is using the UnO SW!
    I controll the echoplex digital pro with it and Boss GT Pro which works very well,and with the Ripwerx software has made it even easier,but tap tempo remains a problem and a mystery with the fcb1010 and i hope i can soon see the light with this.Until now i havent been able to successfully control a tap tempo on any device with ccs.The echoplex requires note on which works perfect.
    I didnt think of the momentary feature...i have to try that.
    So do you think i should turn off the tap tempo feature on the fcb1010 or is it neccessary to have it on? i turned it off just to see what would happen but it didnt change things.
    The timefactor has under the midi menu a control receive submenu,then i just enter the controller number and then there is a "learn" mode which reads the values you send from the fcb1010,this is the way ive been trying to do it.
    In the behringer manual it mentions how to setup tap tempo by calculating the ms of the delays from the respective device i am trying to control but i have never understood this(and i dont have the manual with me at the moment). I dont know how global tap tempo should be configured can you clue me on this one?
    thanx!

4. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

I just installed the chip myself and have yet to get everything up and running (I'm controlling a Ableton Live patch with it).

I would say disable the taptempo as it is sending out a message that is really only useful for older midi units (I would guess anything made before the mid-90s). I believe (haven't looked at the data using MidiOx which is great for seeing exactly what messages are being sent) that the behrginer's taptempo function sends out the ms value as CC data (a specific number rather than impulses).

Perhaps one slightly annoying workaround could be to use the switch function (I believe you can set these up to be momentary, but don't know for sure), running a 1/4"cable from one of the switch jacks to the taptempo in on the TF. This would avoid any weirdness with the TF's midi implementation, but again depends on the behringers ability to use switches in a momentary fashion and one extra cable to hook up (though it is not carrying any audio so it can be as crappy or as long as needed).

let us know how it goes

joe

5. labalou

labalou Member

Oh yeah i thought of the switch option but i might as well connect a switch direct;-)
    there has to be a way i think...i havent been able to trigger the tap tempo feature of my GT-rpo either but i know somebody did it,he said you would have to send 2 ccs,unfortunately i lost the mail where he explained how to do it.:jo
    Let me know if u come up with something,ok?
    cheers man
    Luis