Setting up G&L s500 for medium gauge strings for the first time.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by R0ADHOUSE, Apr 19, 2015.

1. R0ADHOUSE

R0ADHOUSE Member

Hey all I have a G&L s500 that I'm putting mediums on. I've never set up a guitar on my own before but I a very good with my hands and am excited for the challenge. I've read through the G&L owner's guide which tell you step by step what to do. It seemed simple enough so I got started today. Everything was going fine until I get to the truss rod adjustment. The manual says you need .010 to .012 in between the #6 string and the 8th fret while pushing down on the 1st and last fret. I have achieved this but the action is still way too high. It's a 3/8" or better gap between the string and the last fret.

What do I do?

I could lower the bridge (it's the dual fulcrum vibrato system) but the manual says it should be level with the body with a 3/16" gap between the bottom of the bridge and the body with the strings at full tension. I have achieved this as well but it looks to me the bridge is too high.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Nevermind my daughter's leg lol

2. R0ADHOUSE

R0ADHOUSE Member

So here is a link to the FAQ page at G&L. Towards the bottom is the owner's manual I'm using. Turns out it's for the older models, but my original question remains. How do I get those strings closer to the fretboard?

http://www.glguitars.com/faq/index2.asp

3. The_Whale

The_Whale Member

Lower the bridge plate via the allen screw on each bridge post.

I also set the bridge plate parallel to the body (yours is set so the back end is a bit lower than the front end), though it doesn't make that big of a difference as long as it's close to parallel.

4. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

That bridge-to-body distance looks a lot bigger than 3/16 to me, but I guess it could just be the perception from the photo.

The big question is, why is the action high? If it was right before, and all you've done is change string gauge, then the only thing that would affect the action height is the truss rod adjustment.

I think 0.010 - 0.012 is a little excessive, but assuming you've got that - there's no reason the action should be higher than it was before unless you had it backbowed prior!

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

What do you mean by "mediums"? Usually that designation is for huge jazz gauge strings with a wound G.

They're not gonna fit on that guitar without filing out the nut slots, especially the G.

6. R0ADHOUSE

R0ADHOUSE Member

Thanks for the feedback.

The backstory is I just bought the guitar used. It hung in a guitar display case for many years because it was signed by Warrant. It's also a tribute series. As soon as I got it I took off the old strings and started this process. I didn't really pay close attention but the light strings that were on it had a higher action than I would like, but the bridge was essentially hardtailed to the body, and the saddles were as close to the body as you could get them. I think the combination of raising the bridge, putting on mediums, and raising the saddle is a little bit allowed this problem to present itself.

The particular string gauge is 11-49.

I'm going to try and shim the neck I suppose

7. R0ADHOUSE

R0ADHOUSE Member

Yeah they aren't jazz gauge. I didn't file the nut because for one I don't have nut files, but also I'm planning on flipping the guitar so I didn't want to file it down to fit mediums because most people don't play them, but I put a feeler on them at the first fret and it was pretty close.

8. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Thanks for finally saying so. :bitch

The interpretation of the original design by the guys down in Indonesia is a fairly rough one. Those Tributes don't set up much like the USA ones at all.

They're Tributes. What do we have to do?

9. The_Whale

The_Whale Member

no need

you can lower the bridge plate via the allen socket on each bridge post.

10. R0ADHOUSE

R0ADHOUSE Member

I agree the quality of this import G&L isn't the same as my USA one, but it's feels pretty good. By no means does it feel like a budget guitar.

When you ask "What do we have to do?" I don't understand what you're asking.

11. R0ADHOUSE

R0ADHOUSE Member

I did this and its still not low enough.