Setting up my home studio!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by jhansenku, Apr 28, 2016.

1. jhansenku

jhansenku Supporting Member

Here's what I have:
    iMac desktop
    Atomic Amplifire
    2 acoustics Taylor and Martin
    Ibanez Bass guitar
    3 nice electrics
    Bluebird Spark condenser
    SM 57 and 58
    Presonus Studio Monitors
    Studio Desk
    Sony headphones

Here's what I want to order:
    Rode M5 pair of mics with mic bar
    Ez Drummer 2
    Audient Id14 interface
    And a bundle of studio foam pacakage.

I will start with garage band and go to logic.

First, how does this whole package look on paper?
    Anything you might upgrade or downgrade? Or anything you add?

I'm looking for simplicity for I am
    Still a beginner at recording!
    Please feel free to let me know what u think

Kyle Marcus Imlah likes this.
  2. Kyle Marcus Imlah

Kyle Marcus Imlah Member

This is what I would gather at first... Logic pro x is beast and dirt cheap, compared to others. You can't go wrong with either steinberg UR22 or a Focusrite scarlett 2i2 interface with Logic Pro (individually). Afterwards, I really wouldn't bother with EZ Dummer and Rode Mic's etc.

Your SM57 and 8 Is more than enough for individual recording. With Logic, the drum loops and sounds are almost endless. Also, probably the most important factor is a MIDI Controller. With a MIDI controller you can make really inspirational sounds/ music for yourself, unlike a guitar you can't do much with it raw unless you're a fingerstyle guitarist.

Another option is also MIDI Guitar by jam origin, this program will basically turn you're guitar into midi controller, giving you access to alot of sounds with not much lag... I know musicians who have made albums with just guitar on this program, so that really should be a deal breaker for anybody.

The most important mindset to have, is not to be so wrapped on the gear you're using, instead practice song- writing and experimenting with you're music.

Good Luck Man!

3. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

Looks pretty good to me! I would add a midi keyboard and logic pro x to the list though.
    I'd say the most important thing is to keep the possibility to upgrade components of your rig separately. It's all technology so there will be new things coming out and old things disappearing. The most important thing is to have the most recent stuff possible. As soon as stuff starts getting out of date you can start upgrading parts of the rig one by one. That way your studio stays up to date and you don't have to spend a fortune upgrading everything all at once.
    I would say hardware is preferable over sofware though in most cases not only for sound quality but also because (analog) hardware retains it's value better.

4. RLD

RLD Member

What is your goal?
    Are you going to record other people...bands...real drums?
    Or is this for you to record your own projects?
    These two scenarios require different approaches with different gear requirements.

5. jhansenku

My goal is song writing. Do most everything myself. Will not use real drums. Most likely will do with EZ drummer.

6. RLD

RLD Member

OK...Pretty much what I've been doing for the last 10 years.
    I write and record instrumental cues for music libraries/publishers at my home.
    Probably going to be in a spare bedroom or other small rectangular space...?
    Mic vs direct recording comes into play.
    Anything recorded with a mic like vocals and acoustic guitar needs a good sounding room and that makes room treatment pretty high up on the list IMO.
    Any small, squarish hard surface room will sound bad. Forget the foam and budget $200 to make your own acoustic traps.
    I did and it makes a world of difference. I can point you to plans if needed.
    I record everything direct...guitars, bass, keys, and use software drums.
    As mentioned a midi controller to enter data to your DAW is a must...for me at least. Makes editing drum tracks a breeze.
    Since I record direct, I tend to use my room more as a mix station and acoustic treatment really makes it a lot easier to get great mixes as well.
    Other than that you look like you have a decent collection of gear...lots to learn but you just have to dive in!

superpotato_30 and jhansenku like this.
  7. 71strat

71strat Member

These

[​IMG]
    456HD®
    The 456HD® Analogue Dynamics Process is an innovative new way to experience modern dynamic and harmonic control in real time with zero latency. It was inspired by the desirable qualities of tape recording and can reproduce their dynamics and harmonic properties accurately plus improves the overall dynamic performance of Digital Recording. After 1 year of testing and development with some top producers from the UK and being featured on many records it has been recognised that this process is a game changer and not to be thought of as just another tape emulator. It brings a far more sophisticated approach to dynamic control and it's performance exceeds that of any tape recorder previously produced now setting a new benchmark.

The ultra high speed analogue processing will effectively improve the dynamics both when using it as a pre-recording analogue processor before a conventional DAW and also in post playback from the DAW. Live recording or tracking using multiple instances of the 456HD® are very beneficial for Drum, Vocal and Instruments and in many instances obviate the need for further limiting to control input levels. What the 456HD® Process brings to the table cannot be duplicated by any digital plug-in and compliments their use as all of the difficult control of the source signal has been taken care of by using the 456HD® Process so as they say give it a listen.

AMP+ SERIES
    The AMP+ SERIES are unlike any other devices and represent the cutting edge of our new pioneering design technology in allowing you to "experience the difference" when hearing and recording guitar tones that have made rock and roll history.
    You can now Plug 'n Play 'n Record your choice of classic British or American flavoured guitar tones or SVT inspired Bass tones into any Recording Device, DAW or Sound System at home, studio or at a live gig with the minimum amount of fuss and equipment.
    They are actually amplifiers in the own right that share the same structure, multi stage architecture and equalization as their tube counterparts.
    They operate and feel just like a tube amplifier with controls all having similar function and feel. The input gain is the same as regards to distortion and the guitar behaves just as you would expect. Having real control knobs makes dialling in your sound fast and simple just treat the AMP+ as an amplifier.
    Your effects pedal train can be connected into the AMP+ just as normal with no unexpected interface problems.
    They are 100% Solid State with a completely DISCRETE ANALOGUE SIGNAL PATH that has ZERO LATENCY and a better DYNAMIC RANGE than that of a CD resulting in a noise free output that follows every subtlety and nuance of your playing style perfectly.
    There is no question that the OUTPUT DYNAMICS are more detailed and exhibit more PRESENCE than obtained from the traditional setup of a microphone in front of a speaker or by using a plugin with your DAW.
    The OUTPUT SECTION distorts in a similar manner to classic output tubes and exhibits the compression and harmonics that people love. The AMP+ is more detailed in this respect as it does not have any amplifier lag, phase smear or microphonics that a tube amp has when cranked. You can now experience the full detail of your guitar at any operating level.
    The OUTPUT TUBE COMPRESSION is there as well adding to the natural playing experience and you now also have a very effective PEAK LIMITER controlling final output level.
    This DYNAMIC SOUND with the full presence and detail that you have not experienced before will be a surprise and require a new evaluation of your previous guitar tones. It will inspire you to play better than ever. The added detail also enables you to better place the track in the MIX as it can now be heard with more clarity. Having the luxury of always creating full range HD AUDIO makes further manipulation easy and successful. Post Production - Speaker Simulation - EQ - Delay or other effects can be applied to this full range sound to obtain the best possible results.
    TOTAL ISOLATION is obtained with the AMP+ and multiple tracking of instruments is easy in any Location Enviroment. The ability to record these professional quality tones anywhere will change the way songs can be recorded or created. There is no need in most cases to re-record a great idea or feel if it has been captured using an AMP+ and recorded onto a digital recording device. A minimum amount of equipment is needed and it is a great advantage of having a small compact unit that interfaces with any Recording Device, DAW or Sound System be it a home, studio, backstage or live at a gig.
    LIVE PERFORMANCE You can use the AMP+ as an addition to your backline amplifier or replace it altogether and feed to the front of house and stage and side fill monitors. In our road tests we have found when using it live the guitarist not only enjoys the increased dynamics and detail but a great sound on the PA System. In addition the on stage volume can be reduced and a repeatable consistent tone created without the wild variable of mic'ing an amp onstage.
    SETUP SPEED AND REPEATABILITY It is as easy as plugging into any amplifier and adjusting the controls. The Peak Limiting making recording level adjustment a one step process. Consistent sound equals better performance not to mention not having to lug around heavy amps.
    COST SAVINGS Eliminating excess tour gear is becoming the norm as airline fees have risen and it costs a lot to achieve the same sound as the AMP+ using traditional setups with an amplifier and microphone.

LINK TO MORE INFORMATION
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. GMGM

GMGM Member

My 2 cents...

Most of the gear you need will come and go - you can sell/trade/upgrade when you feel the need. But there is a lot of studio equipment that you'll be stuck with forever (or until you throw them away). Buy good quality mic stands, headphones, a good chair, and so on. And for the most part, there isn't a big price gap between the low-end garbage and high-quality equipment.

When it comes to mics, a lot of folks recommend the Audio Technica AT2020 as being a great value / bang for buck - for vocals, acoustics, and everything else really.

Any studio owner should be able to solder too, in my opinion. Making or repairing cables will save you a ton of money over the next 10 years. Also, if you can solder - then it's worth it to check out http://microphone-parts.com/ (you can buy high quality microphone kits that perform better than other mics that sell commercially at much higher prices).

jhansenku likes this.
  9. jhansenku

I'd love to hear your plans for acoustic traps! I was just going to buy a foam package from Musicians Friend for $120.

10. RLD

RLD Member

I used these plans.

Trick is sourcing the 703 or similar.
    I was able to buy it from a local outlet. $100 for 10 - 24"x48"x2" panels.
    Rest of the materials are very inexpensive.
    Under construction...
    [​IMG]

Finished...
    [​IMG]

superpotato_30 likes this.