Settings for Boss DD-3 Delay

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by eddie101, Apr 8, 2008.

1. eddie101

eddie101 Member

I have been an analog guy for sometime but I like this DD-3 pedal. Currently I have the controls at 12 o'clock and like what I am hearing but I'd like to experiment with different settings; what would be the approximate settings for either Eric Johnson or Edge sound? Thx, Ed

2. dr.C

dr.C Member

Don’t know about Johnson but Edge delay is the opposite of set and forget. His delay is song specific and therefore varies for each song. Most frequently he sets his delay to dotted eight notes (often between 350-450 msec). Set the effect level relatively high or even full and feedback around 12 o clock.

3. eddie101

eddie101 Member

Thanks. I only know a couple of U2 tunes and thought he used a same setting for every song.

Any EJ experts here? :)

4. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

All controls at 12 like you have it should be pretty close to EJ's lead delay

5. gibson60

gibson60 Member

That is what Bonamassa sets his DD-3 at and everyone says he sounds like EJ so there you go...

6. eddie101

eddie101 Member

Hmm. I thought it was a bit more. Appreciate it nonetheless. His "rhythm delay" is almost identical, if not the same as the lead, no?

7. eddie101

eddie101 Member

Well, what ya know? Sometimes I get lucky, too and that is a beautiful thing. Thanks a TONE. :)

8. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

I should have said distorted instead of lead as he has lead and rhytmn dirty sounds with a delay setting like above.

His delay on the clean tones is using an echoplex or two and sometimes a EH memory man and unfortunately hard to duplicate with a DD3.

9. andersdc

andersdc Member

My favorite setting is:
    Level: ~10:00
    D.time: 1:30
    Longest delaytime setting.