Settings suggestions for Mesa Mark III combo??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mvd18969, Jun 6, 2008.

1. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

I have an '87 Mesa Mark III combo red stripe. I have had a love/hate thing going with this amp since I got it. If I don't play any of my other amps, I think it sounds great. Once I plug into something else (especially amps that cost significantly less), I start scratching my head and questioning if it was worth it or not.
    I'm basically a rock/metal player and love all things hi gain. I'm looking for any suggestions for settings to get the most out of the 3 channels; especially the crunch and solo channels.
    And yes, I have downloaded the suggested settings from the Boogie website and I didn't think any of those were really all that great.
    any suggestions appreciated!

2. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I own a MKIII green stripe and if you don't mind not using the clean channel much try this: Volume 8-9 pulled out, Treble 7-8 pulled out, Mid 5, Bass 3 (keep it pushed in), Master set to venue, Lead gain 7-8, Lead Volume set to match other channel (keep it pushed in), EQ set to a squat or shallow "V", Prescence 3-4. Enjoy.......

3. Snottyboy

Snottyboy Member

Ask this at the Boogie Board...lots of Mark III users there and this question has been discussed many times. Another great forum. Search in the vintage amps section.

http://forum.grailtone.com/

4. rrhea

rrhea Member

Good suggestions here so far. Also, if you get the chance to play your amp through a good 2x12 or 4x12 cabinet I think you'll be surprised at how much better it will sound. I recently converted my green stripe combo to a head (I bought the amp new when I was just a kid and never thought it sounded like it should have). I now play it through a Bogner 2x12 cab with Emi GB12 speakers (greenbacks) and I love it!

The original speakers these amps came with (the EV or the Celestion) were ultra fizzy and just do not do this amp justice. Hearing it on a different set of speakers and in a larger cabinet will change your mind about your Mark III. ;)

RR

5. Tinman

Tinman Member

I use to have an '86 Mk III. I also had a love/hate relationship with mine. Constantly tweaking the knobs. Life got better after I sold it. There are lots of amps out there that are friendlier and sound just as good or better.

6. bosstone

bosstone Member

I have owned several mark series amps including a MKIII Red stripe. I dialed in a sound I liked very much and didn't stray to from that. Then I came across my Boogie paperwork and tried the suggested settings. Many of them were ones that I would probably never thought to try. This was an eye opening experience. There are some fantastic sounds in the suggested settings and it will definitely open up a lot of very good possibilities. That amp has more sounds than 99% of the amps ever made. I agree that putting it through bigger cabinets is also something that will give it even better sound and more sonic possibilities.

7. Snottyboy

Snottyboy Member

Should have mentioned earlier.....download, read, and re-read the manual off the Mesa site. This is critical to understanding how all of the knobs interact with each other. Mark III is not a straight forward amp at all. It takes time to understand and tweak. If you like Boogies, your tone is in there...be patient. I have one, I love it, and would never part with it.