Setup question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by balata9999, Jan 29, 2015.

1. balata9999

balata9999 Supporting Member

I have a question about a change to the setup of my guitar. Its a Tom Anderson that was setup with a very low and fast playing action from the factory. Its radiused to the fretboard it looks like but I am occasionally having trouble grabbing the G string perfectly on bends, its a tad low for my liking. Would there be anything wrong with simply raising the saddles on the g and d strings a touch and re-intonating them? Or would that cause a problem having the fretboard and string radius being slightly different. I know I could raise them all, say a half a turn on each screw but I really dig the low action as it is except for this one issue, and its probably once out of every three times I go for a bend on the g it just slips right under my fingertip callus and isn't quite right.

2. snouter

snouter Member

Most manufacturers do not know how to do setups. Unless you have an unusual physical abnormality the radius of the bridge should be consistent with the radius of the neck at the 12th fret. Compound radius necks might be tighter around the nut, but that is not the relevant radius for the bridge. If it is fretting out, a fret or part of a fret is uneven.

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tool...d_Fingerboards/Understring_Radius_Gauges.html

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Tools_by_Job/Fretting/Leveling/Fret_Rocker.html

3. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

If you think the G string is a little low for you, raise it up a tiny bit - D too if that's low as well. TINY BIT is important - if the saddle has 2 screws - one on each side as most do, make sure you raise each 'foot' equally. You'll probably find that 1/8 turn makes a difference.

Then play, see if you like it better. Do one string, then check. Raise the G a tiny bit, then try it. If it's not helping, lower it back to where it was and seek out a good tech in your area.

Be aware of seasonal adjustments that may be necessary due to changes in weather - the relief may need a tiny tweak. Setups aren't rocket science, but a good 'artist' will get better results.

Thanks, Dana O.

4. balata9999

balata9999 Supporting Member

Thanks Dana. I will try a 1/8 turn of each side screw and see if that helps. It's just a tiny bit that it needs to come up and I wasn't sure what to start with. I was going to try a half turn, good thing I asked.