Several facts about the Klon KTR

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Finnegan/Klon, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Smashies

Smashies Gold Supporting Member

I've never seen that movie, and now I really, really want to. Hat tip to you, sir.

2. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

True.

Should be required viewing for all. :beer

3. 7thString

7thString Member

another Klon thread? When is the next TGP witch-hunt??!
    Love your work Bill.

4. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Member

5. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

6. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Moderation is key Staff Member Supporting Member

Bill,

First off, I think it's awesome of you to come on TGP and talk openly on the effects board. Kudos for that.

I do have one question though. Why did you opt to put the Klon in a new box and call it the KTR? Just marketing-wise you have the King Klo(n)g of pedal names. Just wondered why you didn't keep the gold and silver box and horsie going. Thanks for coming by! Would love to see you here more often given your influence on the pedal industry for two decades now.

7. deadletteroffice

deadletteroffice Member

The Klon thing is perplexing.

I had a KTR from the first run...sold it because I honestly didn't think it was that great and that it felt cheaply made (gasp) - (and it died on me and had to send it in to Bill for warranty repair).

After I sold it I bought an Archer which I liked better and was using.

Then my name came up on another KTR list I had forgotten I signed up for so I picked up another one and once again was underwhelmed. And now that I had it and the Archer at the same time, I was able to A/B and confirm that I preferred the Archer without a doubt.

After having both kicking around for about a month I decided that I surely didn't need them both so I would sell the KTR (once again) and just stick with the Archer. But this time when it came time I chickened out and sold the Archer and kept the KTR thinking that if I'm going to have just one Klon type pedal I should keep the original design on hand, even if it won't always be on my board.

All this is after owning many Klones prior to my first KTR. I've ended up with just a KTR that I'm still wondering why I own. I don't care for it much, but I have a hard time letting it go. I just think at some point I'll need a certain sound for a session and if I do whoever I'm doing it for might be interested in the fact that it's an actual Klon, as opposed to "this is a Klon-type pedal." That said, I haven't needed it once ever thus far in many years.

Strange psychology.

8. screwyloot

screwyloot Member

the king hath spoken!

9. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, for real. He who swore to high heaven how on the level Vertex was...

10. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Actually when I first saw Mr Finnegan had posted I am thinking there should be stone tablets or an ark or something. Truth is I imagine he is the same guy I called almost 20 years ago and had a nice easy talk about the Klon I was about to buy. Nothing high and mighty or difficult in our discussion. Just a person that wanted to do his best to have satisfied customers. But he has achieved mythical status (good or bad or both) around here.

So where are the stone tablets?

hunter

11. Zesty

Zesty Member

The question I have is: when are you going to update the website?

12. loud-acoustic

loud-acoustic Member

Anyone else think it's interesting that the middle of his phone # is 666?
    I'm sure someone will stop playing it at church now. Just say'n.

13. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

C'mon.....:rolleyes:

14. Stratm69

Stratm69 Member

I think the biggest rumor is that the KTR doesn't sound as good as the gold or silver models.

Also, I honestly believe the KTR was built differently, in a surface-mount fashion, because many of the parts such as the capacitors are scarce and nearly impossible to source. But not if they're surface-mount. Am I right?

15. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

tonereport article reads like a witch hunt & agenda. mr. phillip dodge should be scrubbing floors not promoting baloney.

16. sanhozay

also, consider changing the box. it's not a legacy serving second act. visually you can do much better - others have already.

17. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

It's very odd that you would be so rude to Bill F. (who never defrauded anyone) after being so supportive of Mason at Vertex.

18. sanhozay

common - one runs mouth then repents for forgiveness after the initial damage has been done. that's what happens on the innernet. ain't no big thang.

19. jdel77

jdel77 Supporting Member

Not really.
    It's quicker, easier and more cost effective to have the pcb's stuffed with SMD components, either in house or by another company before wiring them up in a box.
    SMD components don't require a human to sit and stuff a pcb by hand.
    And there's nothing wrong with that, plenty of great sounding pedals are done that way.

20. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Howdy hunter. Same here. I had a very nice conversation about 10 years ago it so. He was very nice, a good guy. I'm sure he is still. But I have heard too many stories by people who have engaged with him on the business side that his extreme obsession is "impossible" and that it makes him his own worst enemy. The Klon freak show is not accidental.