1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Several Tonespotter takes on Journo's Switch It On

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by scottl, Nov 7, 2005.

1. scottl

scottl Member

I did these three takes this morning before work. All the same Audix mic placement. I paid no attention to the micing except it was about an inch off of center. No tone knob optimizations or knob twiddling. All three takes have minor setting differences. I was going for a brighter tone here. Baker RF on Wolfetone bridge pup.

Sorry for the redundant licks, I had not had my coffee yet ;)

I like the Spotters btw. They are new and will probably get sweeter with time.

The amp was my Fender 75/Fuchs mod with all the special Scott sauce :eek:

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/oct/MatsI5C13.MP3 (more bass before OD (fat) switch on)

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/oct/MatsI5C10.MP3 (fat switch off)

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/oct/MatsI5NC.MP3 ( fat switch off and loose power supply switch on)

If you listen, can I get some feedback on which take has the preferable tone??

Thanks!

Scott

2. vladorg

vladorg Supporting Member

All tones were cool,I'd probably prefer them in the following order-#2,#3 and then #1.I also liked those Sco-ish dissonant intervals there.Next time we hook up,I'll bring my Sehnheiser e906 for you to try-you'll like it,has three different settings and I personally prefer it to my two SM57's.

Vlad

3. scottl

scottl Member

Thanks Vlad! I am not real happy with this Audix mic. It is clear, but the low/mids are suffering. I just picked up an Oktava MK319 condenser mic. Todays morning testing was very promising! I'll hit you with clips later....

Scott

4. Marcello

Marcello Member

2, 3, 1

you are right about the audix, actually i prefer your sm57 from your mic comparison post :eek:

5. Mike

Mike Member

I sure love those Tonespotters.
    Are you getting any cone cry at higher volumes??

Mike

6. scottl

scottl Member

7. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

I think this clip sounds much better, myself.

Of the first three clips, I like the sound of #1 best although this is just because it sounds a tad beefier than the other two.

8. Mike

Mike Member

Agreed.

9. journo

journo Member

Hi Scott,

I have listened to all your posted tracks here for a few years and I honestly think the sm57 (your good one) sounds a lot better than the Audix.

I just had an eye and ear opening experience at a studio where they had me use a Royer ribbon microphone. Sounded great and needed no eq at the board. The engineer said Royers are a bit on the pricey side but there are some chinese ribbon mics entering the market now that give excellent value for money.

Cheers,

Mats N

10. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

Ok... gotta go with clip 3... (though I'm teetering between it and 2).

I liked the way bending the higher notes expanded in clip three... but thought the mid-to-low register notes in clip 2 held together a tad bit better.

Either way... I would settle playing through this setup any of the 3 ways. Very nice tones!! And (whether you thought much of it or not), I thought the playing was smokin!! Wish I heard phrasing like that in my head prior to drinking coffee (or after for that matter)... sh1t... I can barely remember to breath in and out before coffee.

Me

11. scottl

scottl Member

Thanks Me!!! Chris, did you check out the SM57 clip?? Please do... I think it is fatter and nicer!

Scott

12. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Stunning Scott, killer tone and killer playing!

57 take is the one for me.............

13. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

Hi Scott,

Hope all is well with you and yours. :)

Great playing (as always) and I like the Tonespotter clips! I'll say 3, 2, 1 - and I definitely prefer the SM57 over the Audix.

How do you like the Tonespotter as compared to the Wizard?

I just received an 8ohm Celestion G12-65 from my brother (thanks Chris :dude ) but I haven't had time to load it and try it. This should be a similar sound to the Tonespotter, yes? Anyway, I'll post a clip or two once I get to installing the Celestion.

14. baald

baald Member

Hi Scott,
    great stuff.
    Re: the 57 - while I appreciate why people prefer it tonally, to me the audix gets a more nuanced account of dynamics. The 57 sounded a bit stiff in the lower mids to these ears. Also, like most others so far, of the audix clips, i prefered #2.

best
    baald

15. vladorg

vladorg Supporting Member

There's no doubt here-the SM57 clip sounds much warmer and fatter to me!

Vlad