Severe irony in Wetlands Documentary

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by hacker, Feb 20, 2012.

1. hacker

hacker Member

Watched the Wetlands documentary the other night on NetFlix. The Wetlands was the place to see Jam Bands in the early 90s in NYC. Saw many great shows there-Spin Doctors, Blues Traveler, Gov't Mule, etc. The place billed itself as an "activist" music club, so there was always literature being handed out about tree-hugging and saving the earth. In the beginning of the documentary there is a picture of a music fan with homemade sign that had the Home Depot logo painted on it along with, "Old growth wood, Don't buy it or sell it."

I don't think they made the connection between their cause and the instruments the musicians were playing that allowed that place to keep its doors open. :bonk

2. dB

dB Member

The Sweat Glands. I literally passed out one night from the heat. I came to, laying on the floor, looking up at a bunch of hippies who were asking me if I was alright.

That place was pretty fun for us high school kids growing up in Jersey in the early 90's.

3. Liquid Ranger

Liquid Ranger Supporting Member

Performed there many times with my then band, Living Earth.
    Unbelievable times...anyone ever venture downstairs?LOL
    Wetlands was like no other and is sorely missed!

4. duckbunny

duckbunny Member

I played there many a time too. Late 80s to early 90s. Place was unique. I have many, many fond memories of Wetlands. A few weird ones too!

I guess I'm going to have to watch the DVD and learn how much I can't remember!

-db

5. Two-Octave

Two-Octave Member

6. Smacky the Frog

Smacky the Frog Silver Supporting Member

Saw the Zen Tricksters a bunch, as well as Pearl Jam and Soundgarden before they were big.

My buddy still has their monthly calendars from 89 or 90. Unbelievable bands played there.

7. sws1

sws1 Member

Love the wetlands. Almost seems like a time and place that'll never be relived.

8. dB

dB Member

I'm curious why it ended up closing...the place was always packed. Anyone know the story? It's not as though there is any shortage of dead head/jam band types in the tri-state area.

I guess I'll just have to watch the documentary to find out.

9. frennis

frennis Member

http://www.nyrock.com/worldbeat/07_2001/073001b.asp

10. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

I've been to the Wetlands several times, and my memories of such are sketchy at best but, I recall seeing Gov't Mule w/ John Popper on the harp and, downstairs in the "lounge" area you could only smoke pot- no cigarettes allowed!

This was when you could smoke cigs inside, of course.

There was also a half of a VW bus the lobby area covered in 60's/70's bumper stickers.

EDIT: FWIW, I graduated high school in '91.

11. hacker

hacker Member

It was bought and turned into condos although the documentary shows that part of the women's bathroom with the psychedelic paint survived the conversion.

And yes, pot smoking was allowed inside.

@Smacky the Frog-the Zen Tricksters were awesome used to see them all over Long Island as well