Severe price drops at several vendors on Marshall JMD1 amps

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by MKB, Feb 26, 2012.

1. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

For some reason Marshall seems to be blowing out the JMD1 amps right now, you can get a new 50W head for $599 at MF. Not too bad. I've been eyeing these for quite a while, picked up a 50W combo and should get it in a few days. I know it doesn't get much attention on this forum, but nearly every real review I've read on the amp raves at how good it is. I guess we'll see.

If it works well it will probably displace my HD-500/Peavey as the main gigging rig.

2. mtmartin71

mtmartin71 Silver Supporting Member

I was interested in them once long ago. My guess is they weren't selling. Seems like Fender and Peavey are the only one of the big mass market amp companies (other than Line 6) who have had success making modeling amps. Of course, it's not really in some of these amp companies interest to model amps as it reduces their revenue opportunities and streams.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  3. sheguitarplayer

sheguitarplayer Member

Ive got one of the 50watt heads, and it is really very good.
    Full on Marshall power stage that really delivers the goods at gig levels. I like that they stuck to Marshall amp models, but perhaps that badly affected the sales. Who knows.
    Paul Gilbert seems to like his.
    The fx on it are ok but nothing like as controllable as the hd500. The DI speaker sim on it works really well too, as does the multi function footswitch.
    Anyway congrats on your purchase and hope you like it.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  4. RedTiger

RedTiger Member

I have to ask the obligatory bedroom guitarist/home recording question: how does these amps sound at less than gig volume levels?

To me, even tube amps designed with preamp distortion in mind (like my 5150) just don't sound as good unless they're at least a little loud, which is too loud for an apartment during evening hours. I'm wondering if a digital preamp might solve that problem.

5. sheguitarplayer

sheguitarplayer Member

@redtiger
    Very nice through the speaker simulated output at quiet (silent)levels.
    It needs a bit of volume, particularly on the likes of the crunch amp models for the power amp to kick in and deliver the real grunt through a guitar cab.
    It does sound good at low volumes through a guitar cab, but don't expect it to have the grunt of a roaring Marshall at those quiet levels. The modelled part of the amp is preamp only (except for one of the crunch models) and requires the valve power amp section to do all of the power amp work.
    There is a JMD section on the Marshall vintage modern forum with some sound clips of recordings through the speaker sim.

6. drew7000

drew7000 Member

I've been interested in these amps for awhile now.

Looks like I'll order one today.

7. RedTiger

RedTiger Member

That's unfortunate, but understandable. It's still a tube amp after all. These amps probably seemed like a great idea - a Marshall tube amp that has a preamp that can simulate all kinds of different Marshalls, but ultimately they seem to have satisfied nobody.

8. sheguitarplayer

sheguitarplayer Member

Yep. At that price its also a great buy for someone who is looking for a tube power amp for their other modellers.
    It is a full on Marshall power amp section, and sho' does look the part he he.

9. TomWaitsForNoMan

TomWaitsForNoMan Member

Have you used yours in this way? I'm wondering how it would sound w/my HD500, since it is now much less than a DT25/50 option ...

Is this basically the same concept as the SCXD in the Marshall version?

Code:

10. sheguitarplayer

sheguitarplayer Member

Sounds great with an hd500, no doubt about it.
    If you use the 4CM you can also mix/match the hd500 and the JMD preamps which are really very good.
    Of course you do lose the ability to switch between different types of power amp which is one of the DT25/50 features.

11. MKB

You can bet I'm going to try my HD-500 with the JMD501 when it arrives. I'll report back after I do, might be this weekend sometime. I can report that the Haze 40 does not sound very good with the HD-500 into the effects return. I was disappointed in the results. Not sure if this means anything with the JMD though.

The JMD does not have a power amp input, but does have an effects loop that is pre-effects. That should be a good place to insert the HD.

Also, the JMD does not have the power amp class switching present in the DT amps, but the JMD does switch the amount of feedback in the power amp for certain patches. That's useful at least.

The JMD501 also has what seems to be a custom designed Celestion speaker, perhaps it is a more neutral sounding speaker to maximize the different tones available from the differing models.

IMHO it is extremely cool that Marshall does not consider it necessary to model any other manufacturer's amps but their own. They certainly have enough good tones available in their history to cover nearly all the bases a player may need.

The uncool thing about the JMD series is there seems to be no way to perform a bulk patch storage through midi or any other method. With Marshall advertising 128 patch capability, and no way to store and restore the 128 patches, this is borderline irresponsible IMHO. Perhaps there is a bulk sysex dump available, but Marshall isn't advertising it or showing it in the manual (no midi implementation chart). I'm not too happy about this.

12. RedTiger

RedTiger Member

I wonder why you don't see more of this. What if Fractal or someone made a pedal or less involved unit like the AxeFX that only modeled Marshall or only did Fender?

It's ironic because days before I heard about the JMD, I was thinking it would be cool if Marshall did something just like this. I was a little disappointed when I found out they actually did but went with power tubes.

13. DRS

DRS Member

Interesting
    What would the difference be with using an HD500 into the fx return on one a JMD1 and using the FX return of any tube amp? You probably wouldn't be that interested in the Marshall digital preamps if you had an HD500, no?

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  14. nealpolitan

nealpolitan Member

15. MKB

The FX return on the JMD1 is post amp modeling but pre effects and reverb. If you stack your HD effects in front of the amp model, and disable the cab, that might work well into the JMD1 effects return. I plan trying it that way at least. It will be interesting to hear how the Marshall sims in the JMD1 compare to those in the HD-500.

I'm not that pleased with the Marshall models in the HD, but the Plexi promised in the 2.0 update might change all that.

I got the JMD501 today, and have only had a half hour with it, but so far I like it. It's a very deep amp, lots of control and possibilities. I do already like its Marshall tones better than those in the HD-500. Lots of testing yet to do though.

16. sheguitarplayer

sheguitarplayer Member

17. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Wow.... all I use are Marshall tones. Maybe I should look at one of these?

18. sheguitarplayer

sheguitarplayer Member

Speaking from a personal point of view I would say yes, try one out.
    Ive tried most modellers (cheap and very expensive) and IMHO this does the Marshall tones the best.
    Big, bold, brash. Not for the faint hearted, but then thats what real Marshall are all about lol.

19. DRS

DRS Member

How would the JMD1 do for low volume gigs?