Sewell Amps??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JMarck, Apr 9, 2008.

1. JMarck

JMarck Member

Anyone here use these? I was watching a video on youtube of Paul reed Smith playing through one and it sounded amazing? Any info on the models/prices of these?

--Josh

2. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I have a Sewell Wampus Cat, Doug's take on the tweed pro. 1x15 w/2 6L6s. One channel. It's sort of a blend, 5E5 preamp, 5E5A output, tweed deluxe type (as in real simple) tone controls. 27 watts or so in cathode bias mode; 35 or so fixed (mine has a mod for that.)

"Amazing" is I think the right description for it tonally. I've heard "milkshake tone" used to describe it, and this is true. Based on how good this amp sounds, I've long wanted to try Doug's Texaverb amp. His amps are the real deal, and he is one cool guy to deal with.

3. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Doug's amps are crazy good sounding, and he's implementing some clever ideas as well.

4. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Great builder, great cat. Really cool amps.

Dana O.

5. JMarck

JMarck Member

What amp models does he have?

6. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Go to Sewell's website and get his phone number, and call him. He's a great cat and he'll answer all your questions.

It's here: http://www.sewellamps.com/Main.html

Dana O.

7. AlexF

AlexF Member

8. Steve Foley

Steve Foley Member

I've got Serial # 2 of the Texaplex 25, one of his Wampus Cat models. You might say I like them :banana. (Man I dig these new smilie icons!)
    It's my number one amp - a good approximation of a plexi tone, with portability (I'm in a 1x12 combo), and just gets a marvelous tone - it's got the mud, but it's got the clarity at the same time.
    Doug is a super-cool guy, as well. I've almost always got nearly immediate email responses from him - on holidays, late at night, what have you.He's always been helpful and patient, when I wanted to try something different, in explaining the pro's and con's. He's treated me with the utmost respect, even though I picked this up used (unlike another "well-known" amp maker who basically dissed me, and was disrespectful - I sold the amp the next day...).
    I can't say enough good about these amps - I get comments on my tone nearly everywhere we play (like "You stink!"..... just kidding... :jo). I would not hesitate to pick up one of these for a second, if one became available at a good price.
    El Steve-0

9. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

+1, love my T-Plex 25 :dude

10. biscuitcityroad

biscuitcityroad Member

and I too love my Sewell.

I've got a 50 watt Texaplex Head that is great. So many smart features and so simple to use. Just Volume (gain), Treble, Bass and Master knobs. then a bright boost switch and on the back of the head, there is a gain boost switch also that takes this thing into JCM800 territory and beyond.

The greatest thing is the variable volume (gain) footswitch. Its basically a second volume knob that you can adjust so that your amp is set at two different gains. NOT a two channel amp, but two settings that you can switch between with the footswitch. A really genius thing to have done with the amp. I don't like amps with two separate channels but one that has a way to simulate turning the gain down, or slamming it for leads, that's the perfect amp!

I use the amp with a Marshall 1960BHW 4x12 that has 4 G12H30's and it really nails the vintage plexi/JMP tones.

11. jmcerlain

jmcerlain Member

Doug is a great guy to deal with. I had a Texaplex 25 combo for a little while and thought it sounded great. I did not end up keeping it because it was too close to some amps I already own (Club 40 and Marshall 2061x). If I had extra cash I would have kept it as well. Doug was totally great about that as well. Very cool guy. I must say, and Doug agrees that the amp really shines through a 2x12 or 4x12 cab. Man that sounded good. So in my mind if it kept up with my Germino and Marshall it certainly is a great amp. I also think I prefer my Marshall style amps through a closed back cab. It just sounds right. So much for my back...

Call Doug. I do know he is VERY VERY busy and back ordered. I know my friend and Gear Page fave Greg V loves his Texaverb. He has good ears.:rolleyes: Greg actually put me in touch with Doug.

12. theinteriorleag

theinteriorleag Member

amazingly, my local guitar center has a blisterton and texaplex, but I haven't tried them since I don't have the cash to buy them. The texaplex seems like a good price.

13. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

I saw one of his endorsers use a pair down in Corpus Christi a few years ago. They were tremendously loud, in a good way, with plexiglass shields and all. I went up and talked to him on break and discovered Sewell Amps. Real nice, I'd buy one if the timing were right.

14. Steve Foley

Steve Foley Member

I just clicked on your photo links, and couldn't help but wonder: you thinking about getting into guitar, or something? Maybe learn a little ditty or two, hmmm ? Nice collection of amps, there - sure hope an earthquake doesn't knock them off into the pools :puh. Noce stuff, fo' sho'!
    El Steve-0

15. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

Thanks. Yea, I'm kinda into guitars and amps,but nothing really serious though.The amps need to get a little sun and fresh air after being stuck in the studio for so long.:D

16. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

17. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

I don't really even look at other Fender-style amps since I got my Texaverb. Well, that's a lie ... I might have snuck a look or two at the Fargen Blackbird, but I'm still allowed to look.

Anyway, this is my ideal Fender amp with great blackface tones, a wonderful midrange control, and some serious tweed crunch when the tone stack lift is engaged. And the master volume is top notch.

Doug is one of the best guys in the business to deal with, too. Can't say enough good things about him.

Here's mine:
    [​IMG]

18. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Doug Sewell = Good People