Sewell Wampus Cat 50w combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by FiddleTunesinD, May 4, 2016.

1. FiddleTunesinD

FiddleTunesinD Supporting Member

i have a chance to get one of these but I can't find much info on them. Anybody know anything about these? Thanks!

2. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Doug Sewell did such a good job of making his own amps that Paul Smith partnered with him to design PRS amps. To me, that's a BIG vote of confidence. And my experience interacting with Doug himself is that he's very affable, loves to talk shop, and would probably be willing to discuss this with you if you could track down his current contact information.

Have you gotten to play the amp? That should tell you more than I could conjecture.

- Thom

3. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I didn't know there was a 50 watt version. Mine was a claimed 35 watts, 1x15 cathode bias with 2x6L6 and tube rectifier. It was a very early one, started to get kind of weak and hollow sounding several years into my ownership of it. Took it to Jimmy Somma (builder and amp tech extraordinaire), who diagnosed that it had been used for prototyping different parts, had probably been often changed in development. He advised rewiring it, to eliminate parasitic oscillation which was affecting the tone. Jimmy to the rescue. He was so right. Not much work or expense later, that WC turned into the loudest, ballsiest 35 watt amp I've ever heard. I had added a fixed/cathode bias switch, which was endlessly useful. Ended up using two MV equipped amps more over time, so I reluctantly sold it a couple years ago.

But man, that was/is one impressive amp. Started out tweed pro, ended up someplace a little different. I can highly recommend the WC. Never heard another 1x15 sound quite the same as that one.
    MD

4. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

I'd be all over that. Doug is great! I've been searching for one here in the Austin area.

5. Pedro58

Pedro58 Member

I had a Sewell and traded it for a Dr. Z.... Both were fantastic amps. Both gone... Alas!

6. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I still have mine and love it. I've been on a BF kick for a few years so it doesn't get as much playing time, but Mad Dog is right, it starts out in tweed territory and can go some place else, maybe slightly Marshally. I've also able to coax BF type cleans under some circumstances with the right speaker. I ordered mine from Doug back in the day with 2x10s and a 1x15 extension speaker. I really love that amp and would snatch one up in a second if I were you.

7. FiddleTunesinD

FiddleTunesinD Supporting Member

Making the trade for for the Sewell. Looking forward to the change. I've been Playing a Marshall for years. Thanks all.