Sex Drive as a light OD

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jz63, Mar 7, 2008.

1. jz63

jz63 Member

I have a Durham Sex Drive in the mail and I was wondering of many of you guys use it as a light overdrive with the pedal set to unity gain? I'm just looking for a bit of grit for rhythm work.

2. Chuck Snider

Chuck Snider Supporting Member

That were I think it works the best.. experiment with the compression switch. if you dig your current sound the SD is a great "more" pedal.
    Wear sunglasses.. the LED is BRIGHT:eek:

3. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

What amp and guitars are you using it with?

4. jz63

jz63 Member

It'll be a Tele into a DRRI normal channel. I'm also using a Rat2 for heavy OD.

5. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

You can get a fair amount of breakup if you set the compression to "hard" and crank the gain pot up.

However, I actually don't care for the breakup from the Sex Drive - its not as smooth as I prefer.

6. jz63

jz63 Member

Nibus, How would you discribe the Sex Drive breakup? I had an FD2 and didn't care for the drive in the comp cut setting with the gain maxed... of course it was compression free which must make a difference.

7. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

Depending on how much you are able to open up the Deluxe Reverb it could work OK.
    The SD is not really meant to add too much grit (in my opinion), more like make your amp sound like it is on 6 or 7 when it is actually on 2 or 3.
    I doubt it would give you the type of breakup that even the lowest levels of the RAT can provide, so take that into the equation.
    I really like having the compression switch, and using a Tele into a Deluxe I think you'll dig it too. That may be the ticket for you for low to mid gain tones.

8. jz63

jz63 Member

I pretty much live between 2-5 on the volume depending on the size of the room so that sounds fab! I just want to use the RAT for leads and leave the SD for chords and cleanish lead breaks.

9. sandman

sandman Member

hey B. Proguitarshop.com had a SD demo on youtube but it disappeared in the meantime...there's Mucho Boosto left only.

For light OD I say order a Tim - unbeatable. Pair that with amazing clean boost SD is and your in heaven!

Cheap/quick low gain OD is Boss OD-3. Great pedal, open yet not harsh at all.

...listening to yr record I wouldn't change a thing though! :AOK

10. jz63

jz63 Member

Thanks man! I just hope that the SD gets that tight, slightly gritty, chiming sound af my amp when it's crankled up past 5ish.

11. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

For sure look to a Tim or Timmy, Barber LTD or even a Gaspedals Carb for light breakup.

The Sex Drive excels at: (IMO)

1. Adding clarity, brightness, and an overall "bigger" tone
    2. Pushing other OD's for more overtones

I wouldn't use it for light breakup because the breakup it provides is not that smooth.

12. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

Hit the nail right on the head. I use it last in my chain to fatten everything up and boost the signal. I wonder though, if it wouldn't sound even better running before my OD pedals...hmmm...anyone?

13. plagtr2

plagtr2 Silver Supporting Member

+1 on all of the above. Pedals have come & gone on my board, but this is one that will NEVER leave. As advertised. :AOK

14. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

I have tried both, and prefer it before my OD's to drive them harder. More sustain and natural harmonics.

15. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

Thanks for the tip nibus, I will definitely try this tonight! :AOK

16. Big Tim

Big Tim Member

With low output pickups I really have to work to get much out of the sex drive in terms of gain. The knob has to go almost to full, and then it really is only beyond "hair' at full chord work. If you are looking for distortion, I'd start elsewhere.

17. jz63

jz63 Member

I'm really only wanting a bit of hair out of the Sex Drive... think that chimey Tom Petty rhythm sound.