• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Seymour Duncan 59 or Jazz for humbucker in Tele neck position?

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
Opinions? Anyone played both?

In the videos I've watched the 59 seems to have a little more low end, which makes me think it would work better in an ash body Tele?

bgmacaw

I like the Jazz but I've only used it on alder and mahogany, not ash. My take is that the 59 has a bit more low end while the Jazz has slightly better articulation of individual notes. Either one would do nicely though.

Madguitrst

Of the two, definitely the Jazz.

I would also consider the DiMarzio Bluesbucker and Humbucker from Hell.

I have all 4 in guitars.
My overall favorite is the Duncan Jazz in the neck.
However, I think the Bluesbucker would work really well in a Tele neck position.
The Humbucker from Hell works well in a Super-Strat config.
The 59 would be too big for me in a Tele neck.

Don't overthink the ash body.

And if I'm just causing you confusion, just go with the Jazz (but the Bluesbucker is a really cool PU! :) ).

Lewguitar

I like the 59 better. It's more like a '59 or '60 Gibson.

The Jazz is more like a Gibson T-Top: brighter & clearer.

The '59 used to be a great pickup. Then Duncan cheapened it by switching to a polished A5 magnet.

You have to put a roughcast A5 magnet back in it (like Gibson used and Duncan used to use) to get the midrange back and round the treble...but it's worth it.

Last edited:

Snottyboy

I like the 59 better. It's more like a '59 or '60 Gibson.

The Jazz is more like a Gibson T-Top: brighter & clearer.

The '59 used to be a great pickup. Then Duncan cheapened it by switching to a polished A5 magnet.

You have to put a roughcast A5 magnet back in it (like Gibson uses and Duncan used to use) to get the midrange back and round the treble...but it's worth it.
Good information. Do you know approximately when Duncan made the magnet change in the '59?

Lewguitar

Good information. Do you know approximately when Duncan made the magnet change in the '59?
I would guess about 15 years ago when Cathy Duncan took over the company.

I have some mid-90's 59's that do have roughcast magnets.

Seymour and Mj still use roughcast magnets in the Custom Shop for the CS pickups but the regular production pickups almost all use polished magnets. The "Whole Lotta Humbucker" set is, I think, one exception.

It's an easy fix though - especially if the 59 doesn't have a cover soldered on. Just loosen the four brass screws on the bottom of the 59, pull or push the polished magnet out and slide a new roughcast A5 in its place.

Mincer

The 59's low end is bigger, for sure. The Jazz is a little tighter. I think a 59 would be better (or even better, a Seth Lover).

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
The 59's low end is bigger, for sure. The Jazz is a little tighter. I think a 59 would be better (or even better, a Seth Lover).
Tried a Seth Lover and it sounded good, very warm but it just didn't have enough high end. Maybe because of the stock 250K pots? I'm hoping a 59, will work better with the 250K pots. If not, I guess I will have to change it to 500K pots and put a resistor going to the bridge pickup to make it see 250K.

mleffler

Gold Supporting Member
I've tried just about everything you could think of in that spot on my '52 reissue. I've ended up with a SD Phat Cat and to me it's a great combination with the stock bridge pickup.

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
I've tried just about everything you could think of in that spot on my '52 reissue. I've ended up with a SD Phat Cat and to me it's a great combination with the stock bridge pickup.
I love P90s so if a humbucker doesn't work out for me I definitely will go with a P90 of some type. I'm not against getting a swimming pool (route) put in. ;)

Telechamp

I've got an SD '59 in the neck of my FSR Standard Tele.

My tech suggested the '59 for this guitar, and I've got to agree with him. It sounds great - clean or distorted.

It also sounds great mixed with the bridge single coil, in the middle position.

Last edited:

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member
Are you looking for a humbucker or something to fill a humbucker slot? What about something like a Fralin Big Single or other HB-form factor pickup that isn't a traditional HB?

Lewguitar

Tried a Seth Lover and it sounded good, very warm but it just didn't have enough high end. Maybe because of the stock 250K pots? I'm hoping a 59, will work better with the 250K pots. If not, I guess I will have to change it to 500K pots and put a resistor going to the bridge pickup to make it see 250K.
I agree with that. Even in my PRS with 500K pots I felt the Seth was a little lacking in high end. Just a little...although I admit that at 67 my hearing is not what it used to be.

In any case, that is why I replaced the magnets in my Seth Lovers with roughcast Alnico 5.

Very easily done once you get the covers off.

And getting the covers off is very easily done with the right tool: utility knife, Dremel or small saw.

I use this little Japanese saw that cuts on the pull stroke and cuts through the solder blobs in about a minute or less:

Last edited:

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member

My tech suggested the '59 for this guitar, and I've got to agree with him on it. It sounds warm, and has a great tone - clean or distorted.

Does it have 250K or 500K pots?

SgtThump

Silver Supporting Member

My tech suggested the '59 for this guitar, and I've got to agree with him on it. It sounds warm, and has a great tone - clean or distorted.

Are you using the stock bridge pickup?

Telechamp

Are you using the stock bridge pickup?
Yes, I kept the stock ceramic bridge pup in there, because I actually like it.

I thought about changing the stock bridge pickup out, but the more I played this guitar, the more I liked that pickup. I'm not usually big on ceramic pups, and I did change the stock ceramics out on my '04 MIM Strat (for the Rose Heritage set, staggered alnico 5's - Great Strat pups, by the way!), but as I said, I really like the stock bridge pickup in this FSR Tele. It's hot, but sounds great to me - and works really well with the '59 humbucker in the neck.

AlanH

I've had JB and Jazz in an Epi LP and JB and '59 in a USA pro mod Charvel. The latter is pretty close to your tone woods in the Tele.

I didn't particularly like the Jazz. It's good if you play exclusively clean but that '59 in the Charvel was killer. Incredibly articulate and loves a bit of dirt. That pickup is the only thing I miss about that guitar.

The choice between the two depends upon what you play IMO. For jazz, pop and metal (clean parts of metal songs) get the Jazz. For blues and rock get the '59.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom