Seymour Duncan '59 vs. Dimarzio P.A.F.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mims2, Apr 9, 2008.

1. mims2

mims2 Member

I am looking to get a P.A.F. pickup for the bridge position of my Ibanez SZ720. I have used a SD 59 for the neck and have loved it but never tried it for the bridge. What is the difference between the two and is there anything else that might be better in the same price range??

2. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

In that price range, I prefer the dimarzio "virtual PAF" over the regular dimarzio PAF. The SD '59 bridge is no slouch either. I have used all three in various guitars and in my experience give a slight edge to the virtual PAF. Also, you can get a hand wound pickup from Smit's Pickups (I forget the official name but its starts with Smit's)in the same price range. They have excellent customer service.

EDIT- I would say the virtual PAF is a little "smoother" than the '59.

3. outtahear

outtahear Supporting Member

Tonerider Alnico IV AC4 models sound close to my Bareknuckle Mules.

Great bridge "honk" w/nice overtones @ $40 for an uncovered bridge unit,
    great pickup at any price!
    Got 'em from a forum member here (RJ Halsey??)
    Fast service to boot!

4. Speed_Racer71

Speed_Racer71 Member

cant vouch for the tradtional style low output pafs but i had a Paf Pro in the bridge of my SZ320 and it just plain rocked. i have another 320 with a JB in it and it never got any play time.

5. hubberjub

hubberjub Silver Supporting Member

Both are great pickups. I have a SD 59 in the bridge of my Strat and a pair of Dimarzio Virtual PAFs in my Les Paul. They both sound good to me though I'd pick the Dimarzio if pressed. It's not exactly a fair fight since they are in such different guitars though. Also, according to the Dimarzio site the Virtual PAF has been discontinued for this year. I forget what they replaced it with.

6. larimar

larimar Member

Seems they replaced it with a new PAF type. Not sure if it is the PAF bridge (DP223) or the 36th Anniversary model (DP103). The DP103 seems to be partly based on the pups in Larry DiMarzio's 59LP.

7. sarge40

sarge40 Member

The new DP103 is a revamped PAF type, based, as you said, on Larry's original PAFs in his burst. The DP223 is a hotter wind of the PAF type, specifically for the bridge to offset the difference in the neck and bridge levels.

8. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

Ok I want some advice too

I have kinda gotten into the Duncan sound, and for that reason went to Duncans on 3 Guitars. I like that dry, classic, old school tone.

Now all this Virtual PAF talk reminded me how much I liked them. Time to go back perhaps and enjoy that rich 3D sound in my PRS CU24????

9. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

From DiMarzio

"They're both 36th Anniversary models. The DP223 is louder & warmer. Either pickup (or any pickup, for that matter) can be used in either position. The only rule that's good to observe is to not have a pickup in the neck position that's louder than the bridge position, because it can be impossible to get a good balance. In other words, if you put a DP223 in the neck, you'd either want another DP223 in the bridge or a louder pickup like a Norton, AT-1, Air Zone etc. "