1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Seymour Duncan Alan Holdsworth Humbuckers

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by BigDoug1053, Jun 8, 2005.

1. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

Does anyone out there know anything about Duncan Alan Holdsworth pickups? These pups were alleged to have been installed in my Steinberger GL2 custom in the early 90s. Were they even manufactured by Duncan? Have they been discontinued, etc.? :confused:

They sound pretty good to me - I have since rewired the GL. each humbucker wired into a 3-way series-single-parallel switch, and then to a 10-way selector switch along with a Duncan Vintage Rail in the middle position. Very versatile sounds.

2. Strung Up

Strung Up Member

Don't know if what you've got was mfg'd by Duncan, but they did/do sell these pickups.

Here's the fun part: The pickups they sold as AH's are waaay overwound and have almost nothing in common with the pickups they wound for Holdsworth, which were pretty similar to PAF's with two rows of screws instead of screws/slugs.

3. Cheebatone

Cheebatone Member

There was an Ibanez AH signature model quite a few years ago. That had the Seymour Duncan's in it too. I'm fairly sure you can still get the Holdsworth p/ups from the SD custom shop if you want to compare.

4. tms13pin

tms13pin Supporting Member

Carvin make a Holdsworth humbucker that is used in their
    Holdsworth model guitars. Allan *was* involved in that
    design project.

--Tom

5. Power Freak

Power Freak Member

I've got said axe, doesn't have duncans as far as I can tell. But the pickup is super nice.

The pickups Allan uses are double screw 59's, he has them wound to about 7k from what I remember.

The old AH models where double screw JB like pickups but I think duncan are making them as double screw 59's now. You need to get them from the custom shop and they are way too expensive IMO.

6. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

actually, the ibanez model didn't have the duncan pickups.

pretty sure you can still get the holdsworth wind thru the SD custom shop. much like a 59 from what I understand, but smoother.

also, Suhr does some double screw buckers along the same lines. sorry, don't know which model ? DSH, DSV ?

you didn't get that guitar from a guy named Scot, did you ?
    I knew a fusion guy yrs ago who played steinies with holdsworth pickups...

7. BigDoug1053

Thanks for all the info guys. My pups are double screw.

8. Power Freak

Power Freak Member

The DSV is like a 59, the DSH+ is like the "JB holdsworth" model.

I've got a DSH (not plus) on my Kramer, really smooth sounds but it is much brighter than the Holdsworth type pickups.

:)

9. BigDoug1053

Nope. I ordered it new through Washington Music in Wheaton MD. It was originally a 2-PU model.
    [​IMG]

10. DigitalTube

DigitalTube Member

I never tried those, but just replaced the EMG's on a GL4T with the CARVIN Holdsworth pickups, and it sounds so much better then it did before.
    Might get a set of the Duncans soon to compare.
    E.B.