Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro bridge pickup has no punch?

6AM

I bought a used Duncan Alnico II Pro for the bridge of my Les Paul Classic Custom. I popped it in today and the lows and mids sound great, but when I palm mute, it splashes instead of thumps. I don't expect this pickup to be an EMG or something, but I've never experienced a humbucker that sounded splashy like this.

I have the wiring done properly; red and white connected, green and bare wire grounded, and the black to the pot.

Is that just how this pickup sounds?

Mincer

It is one of my favorite pickups, but the Alnico II magnet means that the lows aren't percussive and chunky *at all*. That is just the way it sounds. You might try to replace the magnet with an Alnico V, and you'd get that thump back, but at the expense of those lovely mids.

Either that or you're like me and just don't jive with "vintage output" pickups. I felt the same way with the Burstbucker 3 that I had in my Les Paul. Palm muted it never had that thump or aggressive, immediate attack that I like from a humbucker.

Silver Hand

Either that or you're like me and just don't jive with "vintage output" pickups. I felt the same way with the Burstbucker 3 that I had in my Les Paul. Palm muted it never had that thump or aggressive, immediate attack that I like from a humbucker.
The attack has to do more with the magnet type and placement than the output. It's probably the Alnico 2 in those pickups that you're not liking more than the "vintage output."

6AM

I think the Seymour Duncan website is drunk. I have a PRS Mira that I have a SD Stag Mag in the bridge. It's also an alnico II pickup. On the SD site, it lists the Alnico II Pro as having more bass and more output than the Stag Mag, but the Stag Mag sounds much thicker, bassier, more punchy, and a bit louder. I can't imagine it's all the slightly longer scale length of the PRS or the maple top of the Les Paul.

1973Marshall

IMHO it's the Slash pickup for a reason. Listen to G n R AFD and that's the sound. There's no better sound sample.

To the OPs point that album splashes more than chunks and chugs.

I've always seen it as a punchier, fuller and more interesting 57 Classic.

6AM

As I play these more and play with amp/pedal settings and rolling down the tone know on my guitar, I'm enjoying these pickups more and more. I just wish there was slightly more heft to them. Not a lot, just a little.

CapnRex

As I play these more and play with amp/pedal settings and rolling down the tone know on my guitar, I'm enjoying these pickups more and more. I just wish there was slightly more heft to them. Not a lot, just a little.
Try uoa5 in it. Best of both worlds

EtaCarinae

I've always seen it as a punchier, fuller and more interesting 57 Classic.
I every so slightly prefer the 57 classic, but I agree that they are a pretty close comparison.

To the OP, if you want something with a more traditional EQ profile but chugs well, I would consider the SD Custom 5. It sounds a lot like a PAF in terms of the EQ profile, but it's higher output and it also happens to chug really well. If you want closer to actual PAF output, the burstbucker pro sound decent with palm muting. Alnico 2 is almost never going to sound super tight with palm muting, and most Alnico 2 pickups are on the lower output side with resonant peaks higher than what you want for ideal palm muting.

6AM

I every so slightly prefer the 57 classic, but I agree that they are a pretty close comparison.

To the OP, if you want something with a more traditional EQ profile but chugs well, I would consider the SD Custom 5. It sounds a lot like a PAF in terms of the EQ profile, but it's higher output and it also happens to chug really well. If you want closer to actual PAF output, the burstbucker pro sound decent with palm muting. Alnico 2 is almost never going to sound super tight with palm muting, and most Alnico 2 pickups are on the lower output side with resonant peaks higher than what you want for ideal palm muting.
Interestingly enough, I'm replacing 57 Classics that came stock. They do have a generally similar tone, but I think the SD's are a little more refined and smooth than the 57's. Also, I bought this guitar after selling a guitar with a Custom 5 in the bridge, which is a good pickup, but found it a little too hot for my liking.

1973Marshall

The A2pro is definitely close to the 57 but I think the 43 gauge wire gives it a bit more of a punch and a high end swee overtone that sets it apart. The 57 sounds... Well... More classic lol. The 57 is that softer, boxier (in an old school way, and has a nice chime. I love both.

Now the Custom 5 is a great idea for chug. You just have to be ready for that V EQ curve. It is a little hi if scooped in the mids but that makes it chug even harder while still being vintage.

lemonman

Silver Supporting Member
The A2pro is definitely close to the 57 but I think the 43 gauge wire gives it a bit more of a punch and a high end swee overtone that sets it apart. The 57 sounds... Well... More classic lol. The 57 is that softer, boxier (in an old school way, and has a nice chime. I love both.
A2Pro is 42 gauge, but poly wire.

forum_crawler

I would argue that the Alnico Pro II pickups are more for the LP + Marshall crowd.
They do sound pretty good, and can be used for chunky palm muting, but that isn't where they are the happiest.

There is a huge difference in feel between those pickups in a LP through a Mesa Roadster and say, Blackouts through in an explorer with the same amp.
However, when the amp is setup for a more vintage feel (more mids, treble, and volume) the pickups just shine.
I would say they are more smooth than anything else.

6AM

Try uoa5 in it. Best of both worlds
The magnet came today. I operation wasn't as scary as I had anticipated. The results are pretty fantastic. With the A2 magnet, it was all treble and midrange and no bass. I now have a reasonable amount of bass, the midrange is toned down, and the highs are left almost untouched. It's actually one of the best humbuckers I've ever heard. The low end is a little loose, but overall, it's got a magic 3D quality that makes the Stag Mag in my PRS Mira sound flat, dull, and lifeless. I have an extra magnet. I might end up buying another pickup to replace the Stag Mag.

I never realized how much of a difference A2 vs A5 makes, maybe even more than ceramic vs. alnico in some cases. I may have to experiment with a few pickups now :)

CapnRex

The magnet came today. I operation wasn't as scary as I had anticipated. The results are pretty fantastic. With the A2 magnet, it was all treble and midrange and no bass. I now have a reasonable amount of bass, the midrange is toned down, and the highs are left almost untouched. It's actually one of the best humbuckers I've ever heard. The low end is a little loose, but overall, it's got a magic 3D quality that makes the Stag Mag in my PRS Mira sound flat, dull, and lifeless. I have an extra magnet. I might end up buying another pickup to replace the Stag Mag.
Awesome! Yea I think there are about 2 people preaching uoa5 (blueman55 on the SD forums and myself, another SD user) but it really is a fantastic magnet in a BRIDGE pup. They do not do cleans well so not ideal in a neck. So glad you're digging it

Trending Topics