Seymour Duncan Alternative 8

Dannyz

Anyone tried the Alternative 8 in a LP?

Im looking for a fuller bridge pickup than my Alnico II Slash without goin over the top ala Duncan Distortion/EMG 81. I dont like A5 magnets or ceramics for hard rock/90s metal.

The Slash APH2 bridge has piercing highs and single coil-ish attack which is quite unpleasant. Also, the low end on this pickup is inexistent.

PD: im a Slash fanboy but his signature set sounds horrible. Had the same result in three Gibson LPs with this set of pickups.

nujnujnuj

People say A8 has some tonalities of:
A2 (softer mids than A5)
A5 (big bottom end)
Ceramic (tight and high output)

I think it will sound massive in LP

SweetClyde99

I had one that I tried in a few guitars. I remember somewhat liking it in my Gibson LPJ, which is a Les Paul with a mahogany body, a maple cap, and a maple neck. The Alt 8 has a lot of output and more high-end sizzle than I really wanted though. I compared it against a Duncan Custom with an alnico 8 magnet (a Custom 8), and I liked the Custom 8 better for just about everything—more balanced and organic sounding to me. You could get a fairly comparable tone by rolling down the tone and volume pots a bit with the Alt 8 though.

hendrixstrat

Silver Supporting Member
I have it in a strat, with a lil '59 in the neck. Killer! It's everything that a jb. is without the icepick. Think Ratt tones if you're going that direction, or the big solo spot during a blues jam. I don't care what the haters say, this is a perfect humbucker. Good choice. Solder it up, and judge for yourself, but you will dry get some tone out of this. The lower mids are like butter! I can clean that thing up with a roll of the volume knob.

Dannyz

Any advice about what neck pickup would pair nicely with the Alt 8?

I was thinkin about a 59 bridge in neck or Jazz bridge in neck. The Slash AP2 neck that i have installed right now is very sharp, glassy, which i dont like at all.

I would like a woody neck pickup (buttery maybe?) for clean-ish tones and bluesy solos. Think Jerry Cantrell when he switch to the neck position.

D K Souther

Platinum Supporting Member
I don’t understand your issue? In my experience A2 is kind of middy. I like the sound of A2 because it isn’t too bright like A5 is in a paf style. The EVH Wolfgang pickups are not bright pickups and are A2 and around 14-14k

Aceman893

The Slash APH2 bridge has piercing highs and single coil-ish attack which is quite unpleasant. Also, the low end on this pickup is inexistent.
Ummm - I'm having a LOT of problems with this description. I can't imagine the Slash pickups sounding how you describe them. At the end of the day they are "tweaked" A2P's. Are you sure that is what they are, or that they are not counterfeits???

Also - what gear...not just the guitar. But what sort of Les Paul is it? What amp? What settings?

All of that said, I have messed around with A8 mags, but not an Alt8. My JB 8 was way better for me/my ears than a stock JB. It smoothed the high, reduced the mids a touch, and thickened the bass. Can't say it will do what you want though.

Like I said - your description of the Slash is the only on eI've ever heard like that. I call counterfeit pups or something with the guitar and the gear.

Dannyz

@D K Souther @Aceman893

Yeah i know, A2 pickups tend to be buttery and smooth, with not too much low end and warm highs. This is not the case. I should add that i started playing guitar because of Slash. I absolutely love his tone, riffs, phrasing but its not happening with these pickups.

The pickup set in question is authentic 100%. Came with the original box, papers, screws etc. It has the sticker with SN and the Slash signature/skull logo. Ive used a multimeter and the Kohms are in spec, not short out or funky.

Ive installed this Slash set in 5 guitars. Three of them were Gibson LP (01' and 02' LP Classic, 11' Trad Pro) and two LP made by a luthier (1 Custom with ebony fb and a Standard).

In all of them these pickups were an absolute fail. Razor blade highs, no low end at all, just a cold sounding set. Tried to set the pickups further from the strings, like 3 or 4mm. It improved the shrill highs a bit but the tone is absolute anemic. Gutless. Before i had Classic 57s and they were super smooth and squishy in the mids. Bogner-like. An absolute joy to play riffs and soloing. The neck pickup had that flute thing in spades

Im using a Friedman Be100 (clone), 68' Plexi and a Mesa DR with a 4x12 with Greenbacks. Strings are EB Power Slinky .011.

D K Souther

Platinum Supporting Member
@D K Souther @Aceman893

Yeah i know, A2 pickups tend to be buttery and smooth, with not too much low end and warm highs. This is not the case. I should add that i started playing guitar because of Slash. I absolutely love his tone, riffs, phrasing but its not happening with these pickups.

The pickup set in question is authentic 100%. Came with the original box, papers, screws etc. It has the sticker with SN and the Slash signature/skull logo. Ive used a multimeter and the Kohms are in spec, not short out or funky.

Ive installed this Slash set in 5 guitars. Three of them were Gibson LP (01' and 02' LP Classic, 11' Trad Pro) and two LP made by a luthier (1 Custom with ebony fb and a Standard).

In all of them these pickups were an absolute fail. Razor blade highs, no low end at all, just a cold sounding set. Tried to set the pickups further from the strings, like 3 or 4mm. It improved the shrill highs a bit but the tone is absolute anemic. Gutless. Before i had Classic 57s and they were super smooth and squishy in the mids. Bogner-like. An absolute joy to play riffs and soloing. The neck pickup had that flute thing in spades

Im using a Friedman Be100 (clone), 68' Plexi and a Mesa DR with a 4x12 with Greenbacks. Strings are EB Power Slinky .011.

Bummer man. I hope you find your tone, like most things, your tone is yours. The only way to find it is to search.

Aceman893

wow - 5 guitars????

OK...I generally find A2P styles to have more than enough bass, just looser than say a Ceramic.

But, your ears are your ears. Good luck man!