Seymour Duncan Antiquity II Surfer Set, the Discussion.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jeff Flowerday, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

I've ordered a set with custom bridge just wanted to get everyone's opinion on them, what they like don't like about them etc....

2. Jim Barth

Jim Barth Member

I like them because to my ear they are more that 60's big and round sound as opposed to the 50's trebly and glassy tone.

3. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

i have been playing them for about 6 months now.

personally, I think that they have more chime than the regular Antiquities with less focus on the midrange, and a tighter bass and treble output. i have the custom bridge as well and honestly, it is far hotter than any real grey bottom pickup you will find, but still retains the glassiness of a vintage pup and to my ears balances nicely with the neck and middle pup without having to be raised nearly up to the strings like on a lot of older strats.

so it's output is hotter, but i think it is intended more for functionality than to have an amazingly scorching lead pickup. i hope that makes sense? of course if you raise it high enough, you will indeed have a screaming bridge pickup. how mine are set though, I can play lead lines on just the bridge without it being overkill at all.

what can i say... the Alnico 5 magnets are beautiful. i think that their sound is the peak of the strat sound. many will disagree with me, Eric Clapton for one... he like the 50's strats, but my favorite guitars are the non-slabboard models from 64/65. that's just what I like. if you also like that sound, then you are in for a real treat.

4. jetlag

jetlag Member

Charlie, I'm also into that sound - the veneer board late '63's thru thru '65. Mine is a transition logo '64 but black bottom pickups. Love the tone. To me the veneers sound more meaty than the slabs. On these surfers, I thought duncan put alnico II in them? That's the only thing that turned me off - as I don't like the "softness" of alnico II. Well, except maybe in the back spot.

5. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

No, the Antiquity II Surfer's are alnico V. The Antiquity I strat pickups are alnico II.

6. jetlag

jetlag Member

Jeff, cool. Thanks for clearing that up for me. That's good news!

7. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

you know it's kind of funny. i did a thread on the SD Antiquity II's a while back and elicited zero responses. i think many people are turned off to the SD vintage line because there are so many other smaller boutique guys out there that are doing the same thing, but i can honestly say that these are some of the closest repro's i have found. my second fave are fralin vintage hots, but the Antiquity two's just have a certain sparkle to them that i like better.

the whole story with these pups is that they started from Seymour doing rewinds on his friends old strat pups, and that evolved into him making custom sets, and then well, the Aniquities were born. i totally hear it in my pups, that's for sure. i think the Aniquity II is one of the finest blues pickups out there, but it's just so damn versatile. anyway, as you can tell, i love these pups and i hope more people get a chance to check them out.

8. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

Got my set put in my 65' Relic yesterday. Been messing around with them since.

They are everything I was looking for. In comparison to the stock pickups these are a little scooped, way more definition to the notes and dynamic as heck. Bottom end is huge. The highs are a little thinner in comparison. Overall, much more chime.

Fender's custom shop 65' pickups are some of the best they make but the Surfers are just that much better.

9. Seegs

Seegs Member

My curiousity is picqued...I have the Ant. I's and they have lost every at home comparison shootout I have done with em...no glass...non-typical strat tone.....to much mids...yadayadayada...!!

But what they do is perform on stage and allow me to cut and be heard plus they sit really nice in every mix I have been involved with...

To be sure I just tried a set of Lollar BF pu's and they walked all over the Ants. at home but on stage I got lost and couldn't hear myself becauase of the mid-scoop...the Lollars also had such a volumn drop in the 2&4 positions that it rendered them useless...on the contrary the Ant. I's are of equal volumn when using the in-between positions allowing me to use them at will...

I went back to the Ant. I's and have not looked back since...still I would like to have more glass and typical strat tone but not at the expense of being heard...

Chow,
    Seegs

10. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

I'm not too worried about cutting through on stage. I hit the Klon for boost when soloing. It's the perfect mid boost for cutting through. I wanted the chime! :AOK

PS) the Ant IIs are perfect volume in the II and IV position as well. No volume loss.