Seymour Duncan Antiquity - what to expect?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mary04, Feb 21, 2009.

1. mary04

mary04 Member

Two years ago I bought myself a brand new LP Standard Faded with Burstbuckers in both places. All the time I`ve thought the buckers sounded a little "flat", if you know what I mean. Now I want pickups with a greater range, that go a little deeper and sound a little warmer.

Me and my band we play 70th`s rock`n roll (acdc, Free, Lynard Skynard, ZZ top, etc) and some blues. I play through a Diezel Einstein combo.

I`ve been thinking of the Seymour Duncan Antiquity humbuckers in both neck and brigde position. I have read great things about them. Anyone on the TGP that could advice on that choice - that have any experience with Antiquity in the LP for my kind of music?

I have found some Antiquity soundclips on the internet, but that is mostly Fender strat clips - not LP`s.

So, please tell me what to expect from a pair of Seymour Duncan Antiquity`s in my LP.

Mary04

2. Calloway

Calloway Member

Expect some bad ass vintage PAF tone. Antiquities are my favorite humbuckers in a Les Paul. I used to have a Standard with them and it sounded great. Very low output usually, which seems to meet what you are looking for w/ your style of music.

3. ricoh

ricoh Member

Expect a lively PU that is not potted. I have had a fair # of PAF types including the expensive and coveted Holmes and found the Duncan's exactly what I wanted.

4. jpage

jpage Member

Well, I love the Ants and I've tried dozens of humbuckers in Les Pauls. They are perfect for the types of classic rock you mentioned...in my R8...through the amps I've played through. I've never played through a Diezel of any sort and obviously that is going to make more of a difference in your tone than any pickup will.

I also love the BB Pros, which are I believe the ones in your Les Paul right now. The difference I think you will find is a little more "airy" tone with a bit more top end. I definitely don't think the BB Pros are flat at all though. I think they are actually a good choice for classic rock-maybe more for the AC/DC GnR brand, but I guess that's neither here or there. Expect a great vintage wind PAF type pickup that will not color your guitar/amp tone in any way.

5. MrMunky

MrMunky Member

Duncan Antiquities are outstanding PAF type pickups. I have them in an LP-type guitar that currently sits next to an LP with Burstbuckers.

The two most significant differences that I perceive between the Antiquities and the Burstbuckers concern dynamics and top end.

First, the Antiquities are markedly more dynamic than the Burstbuckers. Stated differently, you can, with your picking technique, control with greater ease the loudness of the sound that the Antiquities produce. Ordinarily, an inverse correlation exists between the perceived output of a pickup and its capacity for dynamic response, but the Burstbuckers and Antiquites produce comparable output.

Second, the top end of the EQ curve of the Antiquities possesses more character than that of the Burstbuckers. Both the Burstbuckers and Antiquities are bright to approximately the same degree, but it takes a hair longer for the tone of the high end to fully mature after the note is struck. That additional "bloom" time produces a beautiful quality---the kind of quality that sets Van Halen's early tone, Slash's GNR tone, Roy Buchanan's ordinary tone, and others apart.

The burstbuckers that I have are models 1 and 2. I suspect that your LP Faded is equipped with Burstbucker Pro pickups. If so, you'll probably hear the same kinds of differences that I describe, but the differences will be more pronounced.

Two things to watch out for. First, the Antiquities look rotten, literally. I would probably have them in all of my humbucker guitars if they didn't. Second, Antiquities are not wax potted. The lack of potting is a significant contributor to their tone, particularly their remarkable top end, but it increases the susceptibility of your guitar to feedback.

6. jpage

jpage Member

The BB 1 & 2s are night and day different from the BB Pros. I very much disliked the 1 & 2 set that was in my R8, and the Ants completely woke up the guitar after I swapped them out. The BB Pros on the other hand, were phenomenal, articulate and complex. Great for hard rock and clean blues.

IMO, if the BB Pros were wound in a one man shop, cost $300 per and had a 3 month wait, folks on this board would be falling all over themselves to get a set.

7. shoe

shoe Member

Here's a comparison between a VOS 1960 Gibson Les Paul with Burstbuckers 1's and 2's vs an Edwards Les Paul that came stock with Seymour Duncan Antiquities.

http://www.petelacis.com/2008/11/05/gibson-les-paul-vos-1960-vs-edwards-les-paul-lp130/

I agree that the Antiquities sound more open and, because they're not potted, will certainly squeal with a decent amount of gain. The Burstbuckers are a different thing....I dig them both for different reasons.

8. mary04

mary04 Member

Thank you very much for your replies. After been reading your answers I`m pretty shure a pair of Antiquity`s will be ordered tomorrow. I also found the comparisonsite very helpful. Its not that I`m rich, but I belive changing pickups could be a relatively cheap way of improving the guitarsound instad of buying one boutique amplifier after another (yes I know I have a Diezel, but I live in Europe and they are not so pricey here since they are made here. I got mine used for $2200. Try buying a Matchless in Norway were I live!!!).

Once again - thank you all for your kind and helpful answers!

Mary04

9. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

I know some very good les paul players that swear by the duncans.. some prefer bridge pups in the neck as well

10. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

I have them in both of my Les Pauls and they sound fine to me. I'd like to have enough cash to chase tone with pup swaps but once I got the Antiquities I felt like they were close enough. I'd like to try some Dr. Vintage pups from Wolfetone or some Holmes pups, but ther Antiquities for me win from a tone to price ratio. They sound great , are cheaper than most boutique pups and look fantastic. I've got two bridge pups in both guitars (in the neck and bridge positions).

11. buddyboy

buddyboy Gold Supporting Member

Not to derail this thread too much, but, I bought a 2005 R8, used, about a year ago. The guitar sounds great! What burst buckers were being used at that time by Gibson?

12. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

There's a guy on another forum that owns quite a few vintage Gibsons with PAFs.
    His favorite aftermarket pickup are the Antiquities.

Got to say I did like the BB Pros that were in my '02 Standard very much.

13. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

I own antiquites and think they are the best new pickups I have ever heard/owned. I did a youtube video of them in my Les Paul R0. Do a search.

14. jpage

jpage Member

Changing your strings will change your tone as much as changing your pickups 90% of the time. Pickups are more "seasoning" than anything else--I find them to be the most overrated facet of tone. Changing the speakers you play through will have a much larger impact than pickups.

It is nothing like switching amplifiers, I can assure you of that.

15. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I like the Antiquities, a lot. They sound very vintage, to my old ears... ;)

16. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

I like softer & clear sounding A2 Humbuckers. The dynamics work better for me and the midrange isn't so biting, although a whiny weak bridge is an instant killjoy. Some of the more driving rockers prefer hotter pickups and stronger magnets. I also think it depends on the guitar but the ANTS are the way I like them rolled.

17. andergtr

andergtr Member

i think you will love them for what you want. i had '57 classics in my '57 historic, and while those weren't bad at all, the antiquitys are a lot more complex and may be just what you're looking for.

john ou

18. Donn Rowe

Donn Rowe Member

My fav humbucker..for me they just work out the best

19. cottoneyedjoe

cottoneyedjoe Member

Just put a set of P90 Antiquities in my LP.

Great tone. All the way around.

LOVE the buckers too....

20. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

I have a set in my CR8 and just love them. Really bring the sound of the wood out.