Seymour Duncan EVH '78 humbucker

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Tone, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Tone

Tone Member

Anyone use this humbucker from the custom shop? Just wondering if anyone has some general reviews on them. I was thinking of putting one into a swamp ash body/one piece maple neck strat. Too bright for this? If you can give me the general run down on this that would be great! On the duncan forums it's said to sound just like a Custom Custom, but I'd rather opt for this since I'm not really into higher output pickups. What's the EQ curve like? Balanced like it's name implies?

Thanks!:JAM :hiP

2. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

I have one, It's pretty bright. It's very similar to a burts bucker in that the coils are not balanced. The EVH's are so unbalanced it has attack that is more like a single coil.

The botom end is very fat. You can hear a lot of early VH in the pickup if you set up a rig that way. I think it's just a cool, agressive PAF.

Very expensive though.

3. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

huh???? Holy crap, no offense but that was most inaccurate review... The custom custom sounds nothing like the evh pick up. The EVH is an authentic reproduction ( all original wire, bobbins, etc) of the 335 paf edward brought in to SEymour in 78 for duplication. The evh 78 pickup LIKE the seymour antiquity is very low output (with approx8.3-8.5k DC resistance) with alnico magnets, the EVH was named because eddie did not want to allow Seymour to use his name and did not want to make a signature pup- because knew that the pup was extremely important for his trademark tone. BTW Seymour uses seth lovers winders and the have an old gibson winder from the 50's, SO the antiquities and custom shop pup are authemtically reproduced. Are ##% paf's bright? NOPE. THe evh is simply wound hotter but on certain bobbins, very atypical actually. EXtremely contrary to the first post, the tone is warm, High definition, harmonically rich, tight bottom end, smooth highs. Any questions, check out DAve Dzabados at Legendarytones.com and call scott at Seymourduncan.com...........

PEACE

4. Tone

Tone Member

What inaccurate review are you talking about?

5. Tone

Tone Member

6. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

we will have to agee to disagree on this one.

I've compared this pickup to a '59, seth lover, JB, Custom custom, and a tone zone....all in the same guitar.

All Paf's have a certain brightness it's the combination of the alnico magnets and the lighter DC resistance (8.9 K on the EVH BTW.) It's a good thing as they tend to be more open than the 13K+ range pickups which tend to be more compressed.

The windings on the EVH is where a good deal of the snarl come from. They are not ballanced as is typical in a humbucker. This gives the pickup an attack more like a single coil. Not the tone of a single coil, just the attack. This is what makes the pickup so special.

If you really want to hear what the pickup sounds like, listen to the intro part of drop dead legs. You have to remember, that is with the volume rolled down and the guitar has a floyd which will add some brightness.

You can hear the fat bottom end, which the pickup has. It's actually weird to hear the bottom end. If your a VH fan, you've heard it 1000 times.

I'd take the Duncan Pickup lore with a grain of salt. It may be true, it may not. Only Eddie knows for sure and he ain't talkin'. This puckup does not work in all guitars equally well but it is a really cool pickup that most people will find a use for. They sound great in a les Paul. Nice and snarly. What I wish a pearly gates sounded like.

FWIW,
    This will not make you sound like Eddie, but you can hear some of the DNA in there.

7. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Three things,

What kind of ash, northern or swamp?

Floyd or no floyd?

There is a guys on the Plexi Palace forum that can wind pickups. I think he has an Eddie wind that most of the guys says is similar to the Duncan but at about $50 bucks.

The duncan is nice but not worth $169.00....I believe you are paying for the injected mojo

8. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I posted a review in the reviews section

9. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

pfrischmann, I can agree that our opinions do not agree. I think most forum readers take posts with a grain of salt, anyway. Legendarytones.com review is accurate to my humble ears as the specs, materials, and process told me in detail over several phone calls. Further, I can't possible agree that that a regular model seymour pickup is going to have the same tonal quality of their lower line...... that is a no brainer.

While I do think the sh-4, sh-2, custom, custom custom, 59, pg are all awesome, are great for their applications. Like the Jeff Beck model, high gain, though rolls off nice and nice complexity is best for rock, loads of sustain et cetera. THe evh 78, or the seymour antiquity line, other custom shop pup or any vintage pup are not real easy to play compared to: any aforemenion lower line pup, including gibons pups (no BB 1,2 or 3 compares IMO) from BB to 496, angus young, iomi, 500t, emg, dimarzio paf pro to their insane high output evolution because they are not sustain monsters. The evh 78 and humbucker antiquity pup are stunning. As the last studio I recorded at, couldn't believe the tone. The most important thing besides someones opinion playing it through whatever amp they have, how the pickups records is the final word. Usually a quality studio setup will make anything sound great, from a cheap pedal or amp or very generic pups. For instance, a crate practice amp, with crazy gain dimarzio, nice guitar playing mic'd through a nice royer 121, and senn md 421n mic through a TG2 Chandles mic pre, nice rosetta or better converters, compressor/limiter, and experienced mixing will make a crap guitar and amp totally rawk. However, take the SAME equation, ADD a high end amp, speakers, cables, pedals, custom pups, the recording will need less compression and limiting the harmonic complexity, but clarity, the full frequency response will destroy the previously mentioned.....evident though high end nearfields. My point? THe evh 78 unanimously scored HIGH points on recordings and with myself and all my friends.

Dannyz likes this.
  10. Tone

Tone Member

Swamp Ash, no floyd. Has two point american standard trem.:JAM

11. Tone

Tone Member

Hey guys, If I'm getting a EVH for a HSS Strat, with just regular Strat 5 way switching, what would I need? Single conducter, or 4 conductor? Long legs or short? What would you guys recomend for pots, and caps if I want a tone pot for the neck single coil, and one for bridge humbucker instead of the middle single coil? If I'm using say, APS-1's (Duncan Alnico ll single coils) for neck and middle, do I need to flip the magnet of the bucker or anything? Do I need to get the middle single coil RW/RP? Still deciding on single coils to match with the EVH, if you guys have any suggestions please let me know.

Also, If I'm using an american standard two point trem, would it be better to go with trembucker spacing, or regular spacing? Is there a noticeable difference in tone and performance?

Thanks!
    :RoCkIn

12. dosmun

dosmun Member

13. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

i just posted a clip on my site demoing the EVH duncan through my Mojave Peacemaker if you're interested

I also have a clip of the same amp rig and the same guitar loaded with the Tone Zone for comparison if you scroll down the page some

personally i love the EVH pickup. it's twangy where the tone zone is fizzy, and the duncan's bottom is warmer.

14. Tone

Tone Member

So for regular 5 way switching, a single conductor would do? Not sure If I'm understanding correctly. :) When the switch is in the position for bridge and middle pickup, is the humbucker split with only the front coil working along with the middle pickup, or is it full on, plus the middle pickup?

Thanks for the help!

mentoneman, gonna check out your clips, thanks for posting!

15. brent

brent Member

Bridge and middle with single conductor would be full output of both out of phase, this is the only switch position I don't use on my Tyler, I may reverse the polarity on the EVH to get it in phase. The EVH is a great match for lower output single coils as it doesn't kill you with a volume jump when you switch to it.

16. dosmun

dosmun Member

The Humbucker would work as a humbucker. The best way to split the HB would be to use a push pull pot. This would work seperately from the 5 way switch. Basically the single conductor would work for what you are trying to do.

17. Tone

Tone Member

Hey guys, thanks for the info!

Okay, so a single conductor would work for the regular strat 5 way switching. Got it. What about legs, should I get short or long? I'm not sure which one's supposed to be used in strats.

Also, what are your thoughts on trembucker vs. regular spacing in a strat? I'll be using an american standard two point trem. Will the regular spacing be fine, or does it need to be a trembucker spacing? Any noticeable tonal differences? Brent, what are you using on your Tyler?

Thanks for all the help!:BluesBros

18. Tone

Tone Member

Hey mentoneman,
    I've been listening to your clip and it kicks ass. Pickup sounds great, but the playing is awesome! Thanks for the link!:RoCkIn

19. brent

brent Member

On the Tyler, mines chrome covered trem spaced, I think it has long legs but don't remember. Use the trem spacing if you are going to mount the p/u straight, doesn't really matter if you angle the pickup. I have mine trem spaced short legs are easiest on a strat pickguard, but if you have a tall floyd like bridge it might have to be the longer ones I'm not sure.

I have a black/cream one sitting here that is going to go in a oil-finished mahogany body, maple neck single hum non pointy Charvel strat I have coming as a bare bones rock machine. Charvel put the 78/EVH in their 25th Anniversary guitar which IMO was about the worst choice for a pickup in that guitar you could have – Maple capped alder body Maple neck with the EVH mounted right next to the bridge? You could calve icebergs off glaciers with that thing! I think it will work great mounted directly on the mahogany body.

20. Tone

Tone Member

Brent,
    Thanks for the info and help! Got any pics of your Tyler?

Anyone happen to know what the spacing is from E to E on a Fender American Standard two point trem? :) I did'nt get to order one yet.