Seymour Duncan Jazz Pickup question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by theraygun, Oct 10, 2008.

1. theraygun

theraygun Member

Just got a 335 style guitar that has the SD Jazz pickups in the neck and bridge and it sounds great, but when I kick in an overdrive pedal, it seems to compress and lose volume a bit. Is that normal with these pickups? Thanks!

2. SGNick

SGNick Member

I'll play around with the Jazz in my SG neck position and see if I get similar results... It would be contrary to my experiences over the past 3 years with it though.

MY old jazz guitar teacher had a guitar (335 style Yamaha) that he installed 2 jazz pickups in and he removed the bridge one because it didn't have enough bite... when a player of smooth jazz says a pickup doesn't have enough bite... you KNOW it's rather lacking.

3. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

What overdrive pedal are you talking about? Are you used to using single coil guitars?

The problem is probably in your pedal. Lots of times, an overdrive pedal would sound GREAT with single coils to me, but then with humbuckers, it would compress, sound plastic-y, and because the 'buckers had more output, and the pedal didn't have ENOUGH output, therefore you couldn't get unity gain...

The Jazz SD buckers are great pickups, and are perfect for a hollowbody. Nice and detailed.

4. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

I have a Jazz in the Neck and a Frailin in bridge,on my 58 LP RI and it just a great tone for rock and blues the fralin and jazz are a good combo match,very well balance when switching front and back so there is no great volume and tone drops.