Seymour Duncan JB Jr vs Dimarzio Tone Zone T

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mims2, Oct 9, 2008.

1. mims2

mims2 Member

I am looking for a bridge humbucking pickup to put in a tele with single coil spacing. Do either of these have ANY tele sound to them at all when coil split? What are the differences in sound in the pickups? How do they sound clean? Which one is more versatile alone? Thanks!

2. Fuzzhead66

Fuzzhead66 Senior Member

Seymour is the tele master.
    Check out Joe Barden pickups.

3. mims2

mims2 Member

thanks for the input! Any other opinions?

4. telemoxy

telemoxy Member

I was considering them for my Telecaster (Fender Japan 52 Reissue) but I need to hear one first and that has not happened yet. I too want to know what the single coil sound will be. In the mean time I bought a 4 way switch and one of the positions wires the two single coils in series.

These (single coil package) humbuckers use ceramic magnets to get enough output from a small magnet. It might be a good idea to hear one before you buy it. Not everyone likes pickups with ceramic magnets.

Having said that I hear they sound great.

5. mims2

mims2 Member

I know, I noticed that. Im not the fondest of ceramic magnets myself but Im still interested.

6. shane88

shane88 Member

i don't know if this will help but i put a dimarzio pro track in a "strat" and it doesn't sound anything like a normal strat or a full sized hb - i only use it in series hb though
    the cleans are on par with a full sized hb but they aren't ever going to sound like a fender type single coil
    the attack of ceramic can take some getting used to and to some ears they sound brittle but given that i accept that these pus are their own thing and i quite like them
    i still use a 250k pot and it cleans up nicely when the vol is rolled off

7. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Member

SD Jb Jr in the bridge position of any Fender = a mess of brightness. It is much more suitable in mahogany bodies guitars like Gibsons.
    The TonZone is a great bridge pickup for Fenders. Fender uses it on the Hot Rod '57 strats. It gives you more mids and low end, which is what you want in the bridge of a Fender.

8. stratman0602

stratman0602 Member

Ditto ....

9. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

The Barden is good but sounds nothing like the two mentioned.

10. Flinto2002

Flinto2002 Senior Member

The two pickups you mentioned will sound nothing like a tele. Even when split.

That can be good or bad. If you just want some rocking humbucker type tones then either can be a good choice...I'd grab the dimarzio cause I've never liked that JB jr.

Split...well they are both gonna sound weak and thin. The magnetic field is too small with those side by side mini's to pickup a large enough portion of the tone.