Seymour Duncan JB, muddy?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gdomeier, Mar 20, 2008.

1. gdomeier

gdomeier Supporting Member

I have a JB in my Carvin CT4. Think prs. It has a mahogany body and neck, maple top and ebony fb.

The JB in the bridge sounds pretty crappy overall. It's good on high gain, but any moderate crunch tones or clean tones sound muddy. Like a blanket over my amp.

I sounds ok split clean and split clean with then neck duncan jazz.

Anyone here use a duncan jb in a similarly wooded guitar? What is your opinion of it?

2. still.ill

still.ill Member

i have a seymour duncan jb stock in my schecter mahagony bod maple neck and i think it is superb in gain at any way. the only thing i don't like about it is cleans but thats what the sd 59 in neck is for...

3. sarge40

sarge40 Member

Well, I have a JB in the bridge of my Les Paul. I found it to be a great pickup for rock to metal, but not a great pickup clean. I usually don't go for clean sounds using the bridge pickup alone anyway. Like you said, in conjunction with the neck (a SD '59 in my case) it sounds fine clean. I have the 300K pots in my guitar, and it doesn't sound muddy at all, even clean (harsh maybe). I just don't think that the frequency response of the JB, particularly in the bridge position, lends itself to nice clean tones. Haven't tried it in the neck though, but don't think I ever will either since there are better options out there.

4. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

JBs are normally pretty bright. What size pots are in the Carvin?

5. mgarrison99

mgarrison99 Silver Supporting Member

My guitar tech pulled a couple of windings off of it to make it a little less "hot". I have a Jazz in the neck, and like the overall flexibility of the two combined.

6. stoob0t

stoob0t Member

i had a Duncan JB/Jazz combo in a 1989 PRS CU24 - absolutely hated it, sounded really lifeless to me. Swapped them out for a Bareknuckle mule set - and it brought the guitar back to life. I found the JB to be just a little bit too rounded, and slightly wooly sounding.

7. gdomeier

8. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Many HB Duncan pickups sound dark and/or lifeless to me with a clean sound. I feel that same way about most PRS pickups.

9. sarge40

sarge40 Member

If it sounds muddy with a 500K pot, you might want to consider another pickup. JBs are usually bright, some would say shrill. If you are hearing mud with a 500K pot, you might have a dog JB. Like I said, the JB with a 300K pot in my LP sounds great, but still unusable clean. As a rule of thumb, the higher the value of the pot, the less highs are lost.

10. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

I would take a look at the EQ setting on your amp. Particularly the mid EQ. I use nothing but JBs on my guitars, and I love their sound. Of course, I don't use a clean signal very often.

11. bynt

bynt Member

+1 Maybe something is wrong with yours. Mine in the bridge of a Les Paul is anything but muddy. I like it for a breaking up clean tone but other than that, I don't use the bridge much by itself for cleans. It's great for blues soloing and for chordal stuff (again, break up) but it's never muddy. Like has been said, if anything it needs to be tamed.

12. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

I have had a JB in two different alder bodied guitars and both applications were very bright.

13. dzo

dzo Member

I believe Seymour Duncan recommends using a 250k pot with the JB.

14. gdomeier

I am running through the harrier channel of my peters dual channel (lowest boost setting). It's James' take on classic british od.

I did mess with the amp's eq last night a bit. I had to have the lows almost totally off, mids down somewhat and the treble at around 3:00 Sounds good on the warhawk channel (modern high gain)

I will play with it some more before doing anything drastic.

15. gdomeier

I played with it a bit more tonight. Funny thing. I sounds decent at higher volumes, even with a cleaner sound. I have never used a pickup that behaved like that...

16. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

I have a JB in the bridge of my PRS CU22 and sounds great (500k CTS pots). I also have a JB in the bridge of my Carvin DC135T (all mahogany) and it sounds great (250k CTS pots). Sounds like something may be wrong with your wiring. It's worth a look anyway.

17. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

I played JB in several guitars. It ranged from nasty to great depending on the guitar, but it was never muddy in any of them.

-Austin

18. gdomeier

I did just recheck the wiring. There are a couple things different from the duncan instructions vs my actual wiring.

I am referencing http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_1v_1t_3w_1pp

On the duncan wiring the tone pot has the cap on the center lug, then to the back of the pot. Mine has the cap on the left lug. Also, the tone and volume are connected by the middle lugs.

19. WurstBurst

WurstBurst Member

I have a JB in the bridge of my Shecter tele. 500K pots. No idea what the body is made of, but the pickup is never muddy. Very crisp. Can be bright depending on the amp settings. But not muddy.

20. JamesPeters

JamesPeters Member

The JB is a "love it or hate it" pickup, very polarizing. Since it tries to push so many frequencies so hard, if your guitar has resonance in any particular frequencies the JB "runs with it". That's why some say it's bright, some say it's dark, some say it's muddy and so on.

The muddy lows comment is very common when using a JB irrespective of what type of wood the guitar is made of. If the guitar has lows which have a tendency to get a bit unruly, that's all the JB needs. It's not particularly related to one type of wood or one sort of guitar.

In this case, I highly recommend something more focused in the lows. And by that I mean just about any other pickup I can think of, off the top of my head. :)