Seymour Duncan JB vs. Pearly Gates pickups

Beckdrix

From what I remember, I think the JB (Jeff Beck) pickup has a ceramic magnet and as a result, works really well in the bridge position. The ceramic magnet tends not to be as warm as an Alnico magnet pickup, and the JB pickup does not generally work well in the neck position. I would that the Pearly Gates pickups would be carefully fashioned after the Alnico humbucking pickups of Billy Gibbons 50's Les Paul standard. This type of pickup would be bluesier and warmer than the JB ceramic pickup. The Pearly Gates should work well in either position.
Just looking at the Gear page on the Pearly Gates pickup vs the JB Pickup Seymour Duncan Co. does not call it the Jeff Beck Pickup because there was never an agreement with Jeff about putting his name on anything to do with Seymour's company ...it's an ??? Urban Legend that doesn't exist LOL. When asked about it they will respond JB STANDS FOR " JAZZ BLUES .....Just thought I'd message you .......this is a really old thread .......But I'm researching some pickup options now .....next on the list is the Nail Bomb by Bare Knuckle Pickups KEEP ON ROCKING

Franktone

Gold Supporting Member
Just looking at the Gear page on the Pearly Gates pickup vs the JB Pickup Seymour Duncan Co. does not call it the Jeff Beck Pickup because there was never an agreement with Jeff about putting his name on anything to do with Seymour's company ...it's an ??? Urban Legend that doesn't exist LOL. When asked about it they will respond JB STANDS FOR " JAZZ BLUES .....Just thought I'd message you .......this is a really old thread .......But I'm researching some pickup options now .....next on the list is the Nail Bomb by Bare Knuckle Pickups KEEP ON ROCKING
I was wrong about the ceramic magnet and it is in fact an Alnico pickup. As for the JB name the Jeff Beck was something I'd heard from more knowledgeable than myself at the time. But it seemed to be appropriate at the time back when these came out whether it as true or not. I am not sure that the JAZZ BLUES name fits that pickup at all because I found that it was quite a hairy pickup parked in my friends 62 ES345 at the time and didn't have the warmth for JAZZ as far as I can see. Maybe they are thinking JAZZ/BLUES/ROCK. To me it's not really a BLUES pickup either because it is fairly over the top for that label too. I suspect that maybe they just don't want to have to pay royalties on it. But if everybody likes the JAZZ/BLUES connotation then that is okay with me. It's still a really great pickup to have sitting in the bridge of a Gibson guitar if you want more output than your current pickup delivers.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom