1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Seymour Duncan P rails

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Reviews' started by evan47, Aug 1, 2020.

1. evan47

evan47 Member

A while back I tried a pair of PRS McCarty models, one soapbar and one with McCarty pups.
    While I liked the sound of both I bought the one with McCarty pups as I could not afford to but both guitars.
    Since then I have been wondering if it would be a good idea to try putting a pair of Seymour Duncan P rails or P rails hot in my McCarty 10 top.
    Has anyone used P rails in a PRS? Just how nice is the P90 sound from them? Is humbucking mode good or mushy? Is the rail sound thin? Is the p90 sound as goood as a standard p90?

2. McShred

McShred Supporting Member

I had a set of these in Ty Tabor signature Guillford.

My impressions....

P90: sound is excellent, easily my favorite of the 3
    Humbuckers: pretty hot and compressed. I like hot humbuckers but these were just OK, a little bland...Hot, but missing character. If I had put a humbucker in and it sounded like this, I'd probably take it out the next chance I had.
    Single Coil: Useless....straight garbage. Output drop was so significant that matching sounds at the amp was almost impossible. The P90 sound was so much better that you'd never in a million years grab the rail pickup on its own.

Takeaway: jack of all trades, master of none....pretty decent P90 tho :)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020 at 10:07 PM
    Heathen Guitar Basher likes this.
  3. Basement_Builder

Basement_Builder Supporting Member

agree with above. You'd use the single coils live maybe with a boost, but not as a switch back and forth between p90 and humbucker.

The humbucker mode is a bit hot, but it's not horrible. It's just not going to mimic a paf given where the output is.

The p90 is the best part of the pickup. I wouldn't hear it without seeing it and be able to identify it as being part of a combo pickup (that's a good thing). I'd call the humbuckers modern if I heard them separate from the pickup. No clue what humbucker output is, but it reminds me of a more modern sound (didn't pay enough attention to it to comment further).

If you can live without humbuckers, the phat-cat p90s are a really nice round smooth p90.

Of the do-all pickups that I've ever seen, though- the prails are the best, and the p90 part of them is the most pleasant surprise.